Talk me out of a 7mm rem mag

Im really not intetested in impressing the guys at the range. Just looking for a solid cartridge that can shoot flatish to 300, has minimal fuss for either loading or sourcing components, and is suitable for deer and sometimes elk. Some ok options have been presented but I just dont see any of them being the complete package combined with ease of use/ownership that the 7mm mag has. Thanks all. Im off to gunbroker to grab an action.

I have shot, or owned about everything in 7mm. My favorite of course, is the 7stw, but have owned quite a few, insanely accurate 7mags, and have reloaded countless of the same, and found that once you find your best adjustment on your resizing die, thebelt really isnt thst big of a deal. The quality of the brass is key though.
As mentioned, there is plenty of brass avail, the 7mag will shoot anything from 100-180 grain bullet, without breaking your arm in the process. Barrel length, should be at 26, to get benefit of the powder capacity. The fluting, as previously mentioned, must be done correctly, then stress relieved.
The other option might be a 280i. Very close to 7mag performance.
Just my .02cents!🦌

Years ago the Secret Service used the 7mm Magnum as a counter sniper cartridge. Found one of the loads they used was with a 120gr bullet. Did a clone load using H4831SC and a 120gr Nosler BT.

If you are "must have the newest" type you have many choices. If you want a rifle you can always find ammo for, has resale value and proven data up the kazoo the 7mm RM is good. Belts DMS, set it up to headspace on shoulder. Case shape DMS, a given amount of powder in a given amount of capacity produces the same pressuer as the Handloader 300 WSM vs 300 H&H test proved.

I still have a 7x61 S&H, the 2nd commercial 7 magnum. Anyone who thinks it won't kill as well as the latest .284 wonder probably uses a Speer Wildcat manual to reload.

If course you could be super cool and build a 275 H&H ! (1st 7 mag)

View attachment 191921View attachment 191922View attachment 191923
Does that bottom factory load in the picture have a cracked neck?

So I have had a 7mm Shilen select match 1:8 heavy palma barrel sitting around for years now. It can finish at 30". I have been back and forth on cartridge selection so many times. It was originally supposed to be a 7RUM. That barrel life is a real big turn off now. 7SS would be cool or 284 Shehane.

What I have come to realize is that a lot of cartridges come close to the performance of the 7 mag or goes way past it. With the associated cost of that performance. Or it matches the performance but with heavy brass prep, fire forming, and custom ($$$) dies. 7 mag has ADG brass available too so thats a plus.

I hunt deer 90% of the time and my main place only has shots to 200. My other place out to 300. I shoot targets out to 670 periodically. The only elk I have seen while hunting them was at 70-80 yards in a thick coast range quagmire. Didn't get a clear shot before he busted me and disappeared.

I typically hunt with a Vanguard in 30-06 shooting 175 Bergers and I am very happy with it. Really no NEED to change but new guns are fun. Having a back up to that 30-06 would be nice too. I also shoot a 308 but its a 15lbs Larue OBR and no fun to carry for long days. I have a 338wsm that I'm still working with but it is also 15lbs. M24 barrels are super cool right. My 300RUM I think might be a bit more gun than I want to use for Deer and once it has the glass I want will be quite heavy as well. It will also be getting a muzzle brake and I dont always have time for hearing pro while hunting so that is a major drawback. All bare shooting will damage my ears I know that. 300RUM with a brake and no ear pro is something I really want to avoid.

So here is my plan.
7mm rem mag with 150s or 168s
Flute the hell out of the barrel to lose some heavy from the heavy palma.
Finish it at 24"
Light enough recoil so no brake
Grayboe terrain stock. No adjustable cheek piece or LOP
BDL bottom metal
2-10 SHV or 4.5-14x44 something

Roughly get back to a hunting rifle setup. Not a light weight but not a "long ranger" either. Am I crazy? Holes in my logic? Thanks for taking the time to read all this.

Im really not intetested in impressing the guys at the range. Just looking for a solid cartridge that can shoot flatish to 300, has minimal fuss for either loading or sourcing components, and is suitable for deer and sometimes elk. Some ok options have been presented but I just dont see any of them being the complete package combined with ease of use/ownership that the 7mm mag has. Thanks all. Im off to gunbroker to grab an action.
I've had 2-7mm mags both very accurate! Hard caliber to beat. Just remember everyone will have an idea on what's better in their opinion. Mine were super easy to load for and just inherently accurate! The one was an Encore that shot 1/4" groups with 168 grain Berger's! I couldn't believe a break action would shoot that good! Now I'm not saying I loved them but I think I may have if they were a 700,70 or 99 action style. I still have my Mark V but don't like the action. It shoots the encore load phenomenal as well! You can find the 7mag ammo almost anywhere as well if you don't reload.

I see no reason why a belted case would affect anyone's choice as a decision making factor. It was just a over built case by Remington as a marketing tool. Obviously disbanded when they made their big magnums. I have had a 7mmSTW and a 7mmRUM, both huge barrel burner calibers and sold both and built a new 7mmRemMag I am going to use for the rest of my hunting days. Due, not only to it's flat shooting abilities but, there is such a great assortment of bullets and powder available for this caliber. Ballistic coefficients are remarkable and it's capable of taking an elk up to 1200 yards, if the shooter is proficient. Don't have to make it any heavier than 9lbs including scope, pod and sling coupled with a suppressor.
Obviously, you will, and should, make your own choice and decision on your build, hopefully after gleaning the best advice from comments made by members. But, isn't it great we all get such an amazing opportunity to see what others think and like on this forum?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts