Talk me out of a 7mm rem mag

Skimbleshanks, I like your "formula" for the 7 mm rem mag. Maybe leave the barrel a little longer at 26". To make full use of the velocity capabilities of the 7mm rem mag. Or, a 7mm-08 is always a good plan, based on your hunting - shooting requirements.

I would not even try to talk you out of a 7mm RM. I have had them for over 50 years now. I keep building new ones but have never even thought of selling any of the older ones off. I have a light weight mountain/stalker version, heavier deer blind version and an ELR tack driver version. Actually all are tack drivers. I won't get the "inherently accurate" cartridge argument started again but even the left hand 700 BDL version I bought for my son-in-law shoots sub-MOA out of the box. For my North American and African hunts, excluding dangerous game, it is truly the Swiss army knife caliber.

Well my 30-06 already fills the roll of standard bolt face standard weight rifle. Its 9.5 lbs. My 300 RUM is supposed to be my elk rifle. It weighs 12 lbs now with a 6oz temporary scope. Ill be puting a nx8 on there eventually. I think the 7 mag fits better between those 2 than a 7-08. While perfectly adequate for deer Im starting to gather elk points again so hopefully in a couple years I can that 90% deer hunting down a bit. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I haven't changed my mind yet but I have gotten some good questions that have made me think. And kinda reinforced my position a bit.

I'll give my 2 cents
My pick is for the 7saum. Mine can push 180 Berger's @3060 fps with RL26 and ADG brass. On the 7th firing. In a remy short action and a 26 inch barrel.
Now the OP is using a long action so The 195's becomes a very doable thing. Improved it gets a couple more grains. That's my next one. 7saum improved!!
But for the extra 1/4 inch in case length I'd go 7 rogue to take full advantage of that long action

Last edited:
Well my 30-06 already fills the roll of standard bolt face standard weight rifle. Its 9.5 lbs. My 300 RUM is supposed to be my elk rifle. It weighs 12 lbs now with a 6oz temporary scope. Ill be puting a nx8 on there eventually. I think the 7 mag fits better between those 2 than a 7-08. While perfectly adequate for deer Im starting to gather elk points again so hopefully in a couple years I can that 90% deer hunting down a bit. Thanks for all the thoughtful replies. I haven't changed my mind yet but I have gotten some good questions that have made me think. And kinda reinforced my position a bit.
If your building in preparation of an elk hunt, then yes a 7mm rem mag would be great, and fill a void between an 06' and a rum nicely. With that barrel, it will be just as heavy as your rum, maybe more. Do you have a specific weight goal in mind?

I would be happy if it weighed between the 2.

The weights I have come up with so far are:
2.7 lbs complete rem 700 long action
2.5 lbs grayboe terrain stock
1.38 lbs Nightforce 3-10 SHV
4.9-5.9 lbs for a 30" heavy palma depending on maker. My bathroom scale isn't working right now so thats cool.

So ~11.5-12.5lbs at the full length and before fluting. I think I could live with that.

If those weights are off I'm all ears. Long rifles inc has a fluting pattern that they say has removed up to 1 lb off a barrel. I think half that would be good.

When my friends 7 mag is popping primers on chrono testing my 7 stw wasn't even breaking a sweat!🙂 So you can down load a STW and make everything last. It's like comparing a 06 to a 300 win mag. I've owned the barrel burners and they just lost my interest.

I don't think I can talk you out of 7 RM. It checks a lot of boxes well.

Regarding the barrel, I would rather see you send to a Shilen to recontour or sell to buy what you want. I assume your barrel is perfectly stress relieved, but it is possible it is not due to the button rifling process. Fluting is very invasive and could cause your perfect barrel to release some stress when cut. I'm not an expert, but am fairly well read.

Talk you out of a 7 Rem mag? Not happening.

I am die hard fan of the 7mm caliber. I've used the 7mm-08 for 30+ years. I've also used the 280 Rem for a while. On the 7mm caliber I now have three 7mm-08's and one 7mm Rem Mag. I love the 7mm-08, no recoil, fun to shoot, reloading components everywhere and can reach out to 500m no problem.

But the 7mm Rem Mag simply does what the 7mm-08, 280 Rem and 280 AI do but better. Yes the 280 AI is a wonderful cartridge but its not a 7mm Rem Mag nor will it be.

For Hunting you can reach out to 800 yds with it and with authority, and for steel way further. Now in your case you might not shoot that far but if the need were to come up you are covered.

Brass is readily available and no fireforming required. Belt? It has never been a problem. With the twist rate on your barrel you can shoot heavies and I would keep it at 26".

So No, I can't talk you out of it ;)

It's just too common and lack a cool factor to impress the other guys at the range. That's why I like my 7x61 Sharpe and Hart. Everyone wants to know what it is and what the strange rifle with the knobless scope is.

7X61 S&L.jpg

7X61.png

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts