Talk me out of a 300 rum

So my 30-378 maybe on its last hundred rounds. Last 2 times out it's showing signs of needing rebarreled . It's on round count 1450 ish been a good shooter and very happy with its performance. With that being said I've been looking into the 300 rum quite a bit . In all reality from what I've read there really isn't that much difference between the 2. But I like to tinker with new guns/ chamberings . Granted I'm all set up for the 30-378 as far as reloading stuff but another set of dies really isn't that much. And I may have the weatherby made into something a little bigger in the long run anyhow. 338-378 sounds FUN!
With what I've got now I generally only punch paper out to 1000 and am comfortable shooting game in the right circumstances out to 700 yards. Which path to take . Should I go back with the 30-378 or Jump on the rum bandwagon
The 30x378 is still the king of 30 calibers. That said, there are 30x378s and then there are 30x378s.
And if your not getting roughly 3500 fps with a 200 gr bullet, then you dont have one.
And yes you can use heavier bullets, but the 200 will beat them till your past 1500 yards.
So if it were me, id be building another 30x378.
As for the 338x378, it is a good cartridge but you will struggle reaching 3000 fps using the 300 gr bullets.
My son has one, my brother in law has one on the 416 case and he gets slightly more velocity, but only about 50 fps. The bigger cases will give more velocity, but at a cost, including the equipment you load with.
A few years back i rebarreled my roughly 25 year old 30x378 on a custom action and went with Bruce Baers Big Baer cartridge. There is a big difference between it and my sons 338x378 because of the 300 fps difference in velocity.
But frankly, for hunting which is what we do with them, if i were to do it over it would still be a 30x378.
Ive been hunting long range in one of the best areas in the state of Pa for almost 50 years.
i only know a handfull of guys who (even claim) to have killed a deer at 1 mile.
And several of those i would need to have witnessed it happening.
One thing i will say regarding the large 338, you will be a more consistent shooter at the longer distances.
Provided, you have the conditions to be shooting that far, and for the most part we dont during the brief Pa hunting season.

Another quick question a lot of the 300 rums I'm seeing for sale have a 1:10 twist . Is that sufficient for say the 230 Berger

In a 30 cal, I'd go with a 9 twist. There's no sense in messing around with marginal stability. With the 245+ cup/core bullets plus the heavier monos, get a twist that provides options.

That said, my 338 edge is shooting 3K fps with the 260 hammer bullet. Makes my 300 WM look anemic. It literally knocks over my gong at 200 meters.

As a side note, I don't mind belts, but dislike the double shoulder on weatherby cartridges. I deal with it on my 257 bee.

Last edited:
IMOP...at my rifle and gun club, every year we have a large get together, where we sell or trade our possessions.
The caliber most popular on sale is the .300 rum. Might be too much rifle for many???

So my 30-378 maybe on its last hundred rounds. Last 2 times out it's showing signs of needing rebarreled . It's on round count 1450 ish been a good shooter and very happy with its performance. With that being said I've been looking into the 300 rum quite a bit . In all reality from what I've read there really isn't that much difference between the 2. But I like to tinker with new guns/ chamberings . Granted I'm all set up for the 30-378 as far as reloading stuff but another set of dies really isn't that much. And I may have the weatherby made into something a little bigger in the long run anyhow. 338-378 sounds FUN!
With what I've got now I generally only punch paper out to 1000 and am comfortable shooting game in the right circumstances out to 700 yards. Which path to take . Should I go back with the 30-378 or Jump on the rum bandwagon
I can't talk you out of it cause I have 300 RUM and I love it with heavier Betger bullets it's a tac driver

I had a 338-378 and really liked it. I ended up moving to a 300 Norma Improved recently. If I wasn't running the Norma, it would be either of the Weatherbys you listed.

Why would we talk you out of a Rum ! Ha ha
I love all of my 300 Rums and the 338 Rums oh and all of my 338 Edges !
If your looking for a hunting rifle mostly then get a carbon barrel in the 1/9 twist let's say 28" and you could run the 230 and the 245 gr. Bergers . One of my 300 Rums is a Lrh parts build just for a 1 mile milk jug Challenge my buddy's and I set up . 230 bergs and Nv570 at 3036 ft.per.sec out of the 25 " take off barrel shoots lights out !
I do shoot with a guy that has a 338-378 and 300 bergers . It's a hand full for him .

Then you have the 338 Rum , I have one with a 30 " Benchmark carbon and it just loves H-1000 & 300 bergers at 2884 ft.per.sec it also shoots lights out and is hell on game way past most guys shooting ability !!

Well last but not least is my favorite!
I put together 3 338 Edges ! I cant tell you how many rounds I have sent with them .
1000 yrds was easy , 2053 yrds wasn't tough but when I set up fir the 3027 yrds ..wow I was schooled a few times ! Ha ha
Sorry im off track so much I'm just giving you lots of ideas !

Hands down the 300 Rum , shoot it and injoy then you could use the brass for a 338 edge build !
Good luck in you build !!

Rum Man

I had a Remington Sendero SF in 300 RUM. Crazy accurate with a 220 SMK. I sold the rifle to help fund my .338 Lapua build. I told the guy who bought it, if he ever sells it, I'd buy it back! If I were to build another bolt rifle, it would be a 300 RUM or 300 Norma/improved (Understand the pros and cons to each), 30" barrel, 1-9" twist. Would Look at launching the 245 Bergers.

Does the 300 RUM really out class the 300 Weatherby or is there a bunch if negatives about the 300 W. I'm not a Looooooonnnggggggggg range guy but enjoy shooting these rifles. I had a Weatherby at one time and thought it was a real screamer. Just not in the RUM loop.
I have both and I like them both... but I like the RUM better. Yes, it is a step up.

I had a Remington Sendero SF in 300 RUM. Crazy accurate with a 220 SMK. I sold the rifle to help fund my .338 Lapua build. I told the guy who bought it, if he ever sells it, I'd buy it back! If I were to build another bolt rifle, it would be a 300 RUM or 300 Norma/improved (Understand the pros and cons to each), 30" barrel, 1-9" twist. Would Look at launching the 245 Bergers.
This has been on my mind for awhile . I feel the need to build a 300 Rum and test out those 245 bergers , you almost dont need a 338 if the 300 could push the 245 to 3000 ft.per.sec. The Elk at 1000 yrds would never know the difference!!

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.