Talk me out of a 300 rum

wv270wsm

So my 30-378 maybe on its last hundred rounds. Last 2 times out it's showing signs of needing rebarreled . It's on round count 1450 ish been a good shooter and very happy with its performance. With that being said I've been looking into the 300 rum quite a bit . In all reality from what I've read there really isn't that much difference between the 2. But I like to tinker with new guns/ chamberings . Granted I'm all set up for the 30-378 as far as reloading stuff but another set of dies really isn't that much. And I may have the weatherby made into something a little bigger in the long run anyhow. 338-378 sounds FUN!
With what I've got now I generally only punch paper out to 1000 and am comfortable shooting game in the right circumstances out to 700 yards. Which path to take . Should I go back with the 30-378 or Jump on the rum bandwagon

1595616695565.png

Does the 300 RUM really out class the 300 Weatherby or is there a bunch if negatives about the 300 W. I'm not a Looooooonnnggggggggg range guy but enjoy shooting these rifles. I had a Weatherby at one time and thought it was a real screamer. Just not in the RUM loop.

The 30-378 has never let me down . Honestly I'm very happy with the round count I got . And performance has been stellar. Just it's reached its life expectancies

I have all three rifles you mentioned and it would be a hard choice for me to make so I would look at all of my options.

First, with all of the cases and dies for the 30/378 I would look at setting the shoulder back first because the rest of the barrel should be in good shape except for the lead and throat unless you have heated it up and have other problems. with only around 1500 rounds down the tube, chances are that a shoulder set back of one thread could fix it with little expense.

If you want to stay with 30 caliber, the 300 rum would be a very good choice but the expense of brass, dies and working up reloads would/could be a factor. if you wanted to go with a 338. there are many choices, but with your bolt face you would be limited unless you changed actions to get a magnum bolt face. if you changed actions I would recommend something based of the rum case Like the 338 Edge, or a wildcat based of the 375 RUM.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Does the 300 RUM really out class the 300 Weatherby or is there a bunch if negatives about the 300 W. I'm not a Looooooonnnggggggggg range guy but enjoy shooting these rifles. I had a Weatherby at one time and thought it was a real screamer. Just not in the RUM loop.

If velocity is your game, they are both very close to the same, But with over 10 grains of powder capacity over the Weatherby the RUM has the potential to best it, especially with heavy bullets.

Both will shoot/hunt beyond most hunters comfort range. And I have had great accuracy from both.

I would not change from one to the other unless I just wanted something different.

J E CUSTOM

I was hoping JE you would chime in . I love getting your wealth of knowledge. If I go 338 it'll be the 338-378 just because I've always and I mean always wanted one. Don't really know why just always have same as my 7 mm stw . I remember reading the prelude to its reloading pages in the nosler load manual when I was a teenager and after that I always wanted one . Finally got it .
The rum series of cartridges is something that I've always been interested into also. And I'm really thinking that I may end up going that route.

Another quick question a lot of the 300 rums I'm seeing for sale have a 1:10 twist . Is that sufficient for say the 230 Berger

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.