Talk me out of a 30-338.??

Jake in NC

Ref: 30" [email protected] straight 1:11 3 groove, Python action(RB LP RE), 2oz Jewell, Lone Wolf stock..

.. Can anyone who actually knows come up with a reason not to go with this cartridge.?? Original intent is for live varminting and a little 1K+ plinking w/180-200gr bullets.. There's only a little info available on the net as far as loads and ballistics go but that combined with the suggestions of some others led me to start with this cartridge.. Velocities are not max but do seem to be "proper".. Any useful input appreciated.. JiNC

30-338 Info

Hello Jake

The bullets and Lilja barrel that S1 mentioned will be fine for the 30/338 and possibly a bit better in the 300 Win Mag. which has a better brass manufacturer selection then the 338 Win mag.

The 30/338 is a good cartridge, but if I was trying to talk you out of it, the replacement would be the 300 Win mag.

DC

Jake

Couple points to consider

1. I would recommend a HV taper to barrel. Think you will find better balance on rest, easier to tune and to make weight for LG class shooting (PA 16.5 lbs and IBS is 17 lbs). Straight 1.35 is going to put you over depending on scope.

2. 1-11 twist puts you in the range of 180-220 gr bullets, that means you are in the right case capacity size, but 300 WSM is on lower end of that range (180-210 tops). Mine loves 190 JLKs. Which have better quality I think than Bergers, which had quality control problems this last year with 210 jackets.

3. 30-338 is great LR round. Was used for years by LR highpower shooters. Just means you will have to sort through lots of 338 cases.

4. Norma 300 WSM brass will probably be higher qualilty but heard it is much lower in case capacity. Do not have figures.

5. Order your own tight neck reamer from Dave Kiff at Precision Tool(541) 826-5808 (about $150). You can send reamer to Jim Carstensen (advertises on Benchrestcentral.com and Precision shooting). He has method for using chamber reamer to make custom bushing sizing die set for $175.

Good luck

BH

Just one word of caution when chambering your guns throat. You need to have a good idea which bullet you are looking at using. You will find there is a substantial difference in Sierras and custom bullets such as Bergers and JLKs when measuring the length of bearing surface and base to ogive. In my 6.5 there is a .112 difference, which means with my present chamber, the JLk base is actually seated up in the neck to be in the lands, while the Sierra base is down in the case. Measure several different bullets (can use two Stoney Point comparaters on caliper) to get bearing surface or base to ogive lengths. Discuss with gunsmith and he can throat possibly inbetween to allow both to be used.

Hey Fellas.. I ordered the reamer back in October and asked Dave if he would set it up for Norma 338Mag brass and Nosler 180BT's to Sierra 200 something's with a "clean up" neck.. He seemed to know exactly what it is I wanted so I'm gonna go with it..
S1..
.. Thanks for the positive report on the Lilja 3 groove.. I've heard great things pretty consistantly on these barrels.. I was a little worried with the 11 twist.. Also, since Mr Lilja's article was the instigating factor in this whole thing,I thought it would be rude to go with anything but a Lilja barrel..
I had some dealings with Jimmy Knox on a 22-250AI fast twist project and he was great to deal with.. Maybe more dealings are forthcoming..
..The new WSM cases are extremely interesting.. I'm leaning t'wards the 7mm version tho'.. First I'm gonna wait and see whoall comes out with the brass.. It would severely chap my buttocks to get a reamer to Norma or Winchester specs only to have Lapua making it a week later..
mad.gif

daveosok.. Linky no worky..
DC..
..With what little data I have available to me the 30-338 was very close to the 300WinMag in velocity across the span of bullets I'm currently interested in using with a little less powder(for whatever that's worth.).. Logic being also that this is one of the smallest of the "big magnums" and if it fails to meet expectations a re-chamber to a more obnoxious cartridge is only $140 and a month waiting away..
grin.gif

..I do like the idea of the plentiful selection of brass, dies and other assorted "goodies" for the ever popular .300Win.. And you're not the first BTDT individual to suggest such.. One-of-these-days us hard-headed upstarts will listen.!!
smile.gif

BountyHunter..
.. Thanks for the heads-up.. But this gun will be something of an Unlimited if I ever decide to try a little organized competition.. The .260AI Viper w/27" HV is for light gun.. I'm thinking some casual competitions at the club will peak my interest a little more than regular BR.. If I get all this mess loaded and moved the highly likely scenario of shooting a few sighters and a couple of groups then being "out of it" is somewhat unattractive.. For the effort involved in transporting this gear I wanna do some serious lead-lobbing.!!
grin.gif

..If you have any real world shareable data on your 300WSM I'd like to check it out..!! I bought a bag of Winchester brass a while back and have been checking it out a bit.. Can't say as it's very good stuff but the design is schweet..
..Hopefully Dave really does know what I wanted.. We'll see..
Izzat enough from me ya think.??
grin.gif
grin.gif
Thanks all for your input.!! JiNC

Speak of the devil... Just went to the PO and there was the 30/338 reamer.. My my my.. Whot a thing'o'beauty to behold..
Maybe some of you guys can interpret Daves stampings for me..
30/338 WIN FIN (finish reamer.??)
.336 NK.(Know this one)
200 FB
1°-30
Thanks fellas.. cya inna coupla days.. Gotta goto the club and see if that big 'ol buck I saw at dusk last week wants to come out and play.. Hehehe.. JiNC

...A North Carolina Varminter...

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.