Talk me out of a 20 inch 300 Winchester magnum… or not.

D686B9C2-A136-4C2F-8C46-B32FA87B17EB.jpeg

No comment from me on this topic. I have a 20 inch manlicher (spelling ) stocked 98 , in 30 -06. To me ,its a "Woods Gun" , and I have never tried it past the 100 yard range. After reading all the comments here , its time I should shoot it at 200 yard targets . I learned a lot on this one.

My 20 " 06 is a fire breather as it is. Your can wont like the slow powder in factory ammo... honestly if i hD to pick a 20 inch platform caliber... id go 284 winchester and set it up for. Heavy bullets in a long action platform and shoot 175s out of it.

So got to go to the range today but was raining on and off so didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted. Did a simple break in and shot one box of Hornady 178gr eldm ammo. Did shockingly good, about 0.25-0.3 Moa on two 3 shot groups, and 0.5-0.75 moa on two 5 shot groups. My labradar would not pick the suppressed shots very well so only caught 7 rounds and averaged 2787fps out of my 20 barrel and suppressor. The Hornady box states 2950fps so I'm 163fps lowers than there speeds right where I expected. I'm very happy with this rifle so far. Can't wait to shoot the bergers...

A67EEE86-AB11-41F7-9644-C954C15EA7AF.jpeg
0E9DD86B-07B1-4F3E-AAFE-3F951566A017.jpeg
FF2378D1-3565-4A2B-BD56-697DA24A25A6.jpeg
B55D6628-FAF7-4635-8C44-0C93D011B918.jpeg

Last edited:
So got to go to the range today but was raining on and off so didn't get to shoot as much as I wanted. Did a simple break in and shot one box of Hornady 178gr eldm ammo. Did shockingly good, about 0.25-0.3 Moa on two 3 shot groups, and 0.5-0.75 moa on two 5 shot groups. My labradar would not pick the suppressed shots very well so only caught 7 rounds and averaged 2787fps out of my 20 barrel and suppressor. The Hornady box states 2950fps so I'm 163fps lowers than there speeds right where I expected. I'm very happy with this rifle so far. Can't wait to shoot the bergers...
I am glad you stayed with your original plan. Excellent rifle and group ... now go get the spotted one.

Have you considered the JKL trigger (https://jklprecision.com/product/labradar-trigger/) on your lab radar? I have one mine and it makes a huge difference.

Good luck!

Ed

So, I want to build a 20 inch 300 win mag to use primarily for hunting and occasional long range shooting fun out to 1000yds. Currently I hunt everything with a custom 16 inch 308 suppressed and has worked perfect out to 400yds. I want a caliber I can comfortably hunt out to 800yds with and of course there are a numerous amount of options, but I have my own personal preference I'm trying to satisfy.
My requirements are:
* maximum of a 20 inch barrel as I only shoot suppressed and a silencerco Omega adds an additional 6 inches
**Ammo has to be very readily available as I do not reload or intend to reload in the future**
* ammo has to be reasonably priced, $35 or less per box of 20 for match or quality hunting ammo
* caliber has to support a 1000rd barrel life (No 28 NOSLER! lol)
* Recoil sensitivity is a non issue….

Now, I KNOW there are much better caliber options for hunting, but I can't stress how important it is to be able to go to ANY sporting goods store and buy a box of ammo if I need to. This will be a dedicated hunting rifle and I have had numerous hunting trips where I have to buy a few boxes of ammo on the day of my hunt. 300 winmag has a ton of factory ammo offerings from light to heavy and I can't think of another caliber that offers as much of a variety. Barrel length is my Achilles heel, I KNOW Im giving up precious precious muzzle velocity by limiting myself to a 20 inch barrel but Im in Texas and do all of my hunting either in a blind, or walking through thick brush, and maneuvering a jousting lance of a rifle with a 24 inch barrel and a 6 inch suppressor is not gunna do it for me. I love shooting suppressed as well and a silencerco omega is gunna live on the muzzle. So i'm looking for some opinions on if there is a better caliber option that meets my personal requirements for the listed reasons, or am I moving in the right direction for my needs? Now I've seen good comparisons as in a 20 inch 300winmag is a 28 inch 308, which i'm more than excited about, but I've also heard potential negatives like a 20 inch 300winmag leaves too much unburnt powder in a suppressor. Let me know what you think, and if anyone has a 20in 300winmag tell me about it! Thanks
If I were in your shoes I would do some flavor of shortmag. They are designed and loaded with slightly faster powders. The benefit is slightly lower muzzle pressure, and similar velocities in a shorter package, with a shorter barrel. I also think (do not know for sure) that they will be a little better with the can. A more complete powder burn should foul the can a little less