Talk me out of a 20 inch 300 Winchester magnum… or not.

BTW, I shoot H-4831SC in mine at -0.010 with 72.0 gr of powder, 215GM primers with a 190 Berger HVLD. Chrony shows 2795 fps. 22" barrel with a 5" Thunderbeast Ultra. It does 1/3 MOA consistently.

I can't even imagine going back to hunting without a can. My daughter shot a mule deer buck at 250 and the others in the herd didn't even stop feeding. The last elk I shot was in a herd of 20 or so. After the shot, they ran toward me.

Sure it isn't silent, but stand 20 yards away from the shooter and you won't believe the difference. At 100 yards it's difficult to locate the shooter and the bullet impact is probably louder.

Do it! I have a 26 inch 300 mag and while it's more practical ballistically it is ANNOYING if one had to move through any brush whatsoever (it's not intended as a brush gun but reality is sometimes you hike in a ways or go through tree lines to get from field to field). Guaranteed it doesn't lose as much FPS as some would think. Those who would say it's pointless and why not just do a .308 or a .30-06 at that length miss the point entirely. To still exceed (and at equal pressures it will) 24 inch 30-06 ballistics in a rifle 4 inches shorter is nothing to ridicule and depending how you look at things it may be very practical indeed. Heads up...she's gonna be LOUD!!!

BTW, I shoot H-4831SC in mine at -0.010 with 72.0 gr of powder, 215GM primers with a 190 Berger HVLD. Chrony shows 2795 fps. 22" barrel with a 5" Thunderbeast Ultra. It does 1/3 MOA consistently.

I can't even imagine going back to hunting without a can. My daughter shot a mule deer buck at 250 and the others in the herd didn't even stop feeding. The last elk I shot was in a herd of 20 or so. After the shot, they ran toward me.

Sure it isn't silent, but stand 20 yards away from the shooter and you won't believe the difference. At 100 yards it's difficult to locate the shooter and the bullet impact is probably louder.
Completely agree and have had multiple similar experiences with game not moving after the shot or they actually move towards me. I'll Never Hunt without a can.

When hunting with a suppressor, do yall carry the gun with the can already screwed on? Or wait until you're ready to make a shot? I love carrying short barrel rifles, keeping the can screwed on at all times seems like a drag

I always carry it screwed on as I keep the can on it at all times, but I've tested multiple rifles Taking the can in and off and the zero is always within 1/2 moa, so wouldn't matter for hunting within a certain distance.

Always leave it screwed on. Too risky to damage the threads or have it 80% tight which is an accuracy disaster. Besides, when an opportunity presents itself you have to be ready to go - not fiddling around with "one more thing". I only remove mine to clean the bore, which I do every 40-50 rounds or so. Getting that thing on tight and consistent is important. That's one of the reasons I fell out of love with the quick-connect systems.

22" of barrel + 5" of can is tolerable. 2" shorter would be a standard barrel length for many guys. Mine is long, but not ridiculous and those who haven't tried it really, really should. I first used one on a .300WM in Africa and sent in the paperwork to get one the week I got back. BTW, the Thunderbeast cans are really well made and I don't anticipate any issues with muzzle powder burn at typical hunting rates of fire. Their website says that it's rated for .300 WM with an 18" barrel.

Last edited:
I say do it.

Sent my 300WSM back to have it chopped to 20" and TBAC CB put on for my Ultra 7. With Norma factory 180 grain Bondstrike ammo I got a touch over 2,900 fps. And severely reduced noise and recoil. What's not to like?

FDB1CEBC-57FB-450A-8422-0A3C3BB174E9.jpeg
5316BF84-0719-4005-B480-78DF602C8D90.jpeg

Take a 30" barrel through a brush field or alder patch in north idaho then come back and tell us how well it handles haha!!

gotta love the internet.

Yup, got a lot of good info so far, I'm actually human call Silencerco today and get there input on unburnt powder in the can and what kind of performance problems will it cause to the can.
I'm looking forward to Silencerco's answer. The physics of factory 300 win mag ammo out of a suppressed 20" barrel has me concerned about fouling/dirtying up your suppressor.

There is another way, the bullpup design. The first suppressed rifle I was ever around was at a training, the instructor's wife was behind a suppressed 300 WM in a DesertTech bullpup demonstrating spotter/shooter cues. As I scrambled to dig out my ear plugs, he commented that it wouldn't be loud enough to need them. It wasn't bad, impressively quiet actually, from 20 feet behind it was like a fouling shot (powder only) from a muzzleloader. You can get the 26" barrel and suppressor, and still be shorter than most short rifles. Rested they shoot fine, offhand will take some getting used to. Dad had built a bullpup from a '93 Mauser in 7x57 when I was a kid, that was quite a pickup gun, it stayed put when riding on the transmission hump, and even on the dash of late 70's Chevy.

thats a great point, but I've shot several DT rifles and although a great alternative, I didn't like the ergonomics of the bolt position, the trigger isn't as good as say a TriggerTech, there rifles are heavier than im looking for, and if I lose a magazine I would hate myself… ill be building off a rem700 footprint

I had a desert tech as well. Just wasn't practical for a dedicated packing/walking hunting gun in my opinion.

it was fun to shoot though!

I'll be curious to hear your velocities onceyou have it built.