Taking my Sako TRG-S (M995) fron 7STW to a 30-378

Sako7STW

I am thinking about changing my TRG-S from a 7MMSTW over to a 30-378WBY. I found a a barrel for it already that is a factory 30-378 barrel for $65 from a member on here. So what all will it take to change this over? I know the bolt face will have to be opened up or else maybe I can find a bolt somewhere? I have also just considered holding out till I can find one that someone is selling cheap because they have burned the barrel out or something and just build a second gun for cheap. I really love my gun I have now and it is an unreal shooter so maybe thats why I should build a second gun? I am more than sold on what the TRG-S is capable accuracy wise, I see many custom guns that cant come close and thats being honest! Anyways looking for suggestions and ideas. Thanks!

Thought I should add, the idea is I want to build a 1000+ yard Elk hunting rig, Going to top her off with a Vortex Razor HD scope as well.

I've owned a couple TRG-S rifles, currently have one in 300 Win Mag and I've checked out a few more. I think all you'd have to do is open up the bolt face, extractor should work, and get a magazine for the 30-378. They are available online.

Does anyone know if the TRG-S bolt is the same as the TRG 42 ? If it is, you could buy a TRG 42 bolt assembly for the 338 Lapua. Don't know for sure, but they may be the same as the 378 Wby. bolt face, in size.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.