Taking Advantage of Angular Measurements In Scope Use

Scot E

Over the years I have had many conversations here about what is the proper way to use MIL or MOA reticles for sight-in, hold-over, calling shots, etc. Today almost all scope manufacturers have seen the advantage of using the same unit of measurement in their reticles and turrets, ie, MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. There are many advantages to this built right in to the scope that are seldom used.

So many guys are taught about the math side of MOA or MIL and force fed formulas and numbers. Focusing on the numbers is focusing on the linear measurement when we should be thinking in terms of angular measurements. MIL and MOA are both angular measurements and if you can force yourself to keep the math out of it for a while you will soon see the huge benefits of ignoring the math and embracing the technology built into every MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL scope. Especially in today's world of LRF's and ballistic apps there is very little need to get all caught up in the math.

I was in the process of creating some pictures to explain this when I came across this great thread on optics-talk. It does a great job of explaining the concept.

I hope it is helpful.

Sighting in a Mil/Mil Scope - The Optics Talk Forums - Page 1

Scot E.

I've wondered on several occasion if folks weren't getting too caught up in math & conversions to see Mils for what they were. I started with MOA bought my first Mil/Mil scope & 2 MOA/MOA scopes afterwards. Neither are difficult to use, if you don't want them to be. Can a person learn to convert one way or the other? sure, but in my limited experience completely unnecessary.

t

I like this thread.
I also don't like relating everything back and forth to inches or cm or whatever. Especially when plinking. I like shooting and seeing in my scope that I have 1/2 mil wind on that one, or whatever. I like seeing it on a reticle in my scope and having a quick adjustment with holdover or dials available, regardless of range or actual size. I can think of those things later for my own amusement. (I'm not stating this for MIL vs. MOA). I just think it is easier if I make a shot at 643.7 yards not to arbitrarily think, ok, what does that relate to in inches at 100 yards, what is that in inches etc... Rather I like seeing, oh, that target is about 2moa big, the last shot was about 3/4 moa right of center, or whatever. If a scope has markings on the reticle with the mils or moa at that power (or if it is ffp) then I don't have to guess that the target is about 13... or is that 15..? inches big, it doesn't matter, it is just about 2moa.

:)

Happy shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.