TAC 15 Suped-Up Arrows

MoApe

Have you guys considered selling the TAC 15/15i arrows with upgraded vanes and firenocks pre-installed? I'm sure there is a market, I know I would be very interested as there isn't an archery shop that I can trust locally with anything TAC 15.

I guess I could always stumble my way through doing it myself, but would feel more comfortable getting them from an expert.

If anyone is interested in setting me up on a one-off basis please PM me. Thanks!!!

Hi,
Im new to the TAC 15 arena. Having a read through LRH forums, it seems Dorgse from Firenock has the arrows you're looking for. Myself, Im looking at one of his jigs, because it sounds like vanes have a shortened life on the factory whksker biscuit, , combined with the rather high speed and ljkely passthrough on game.

$142.95 on the firenock site for 3 arrows, with vanes, aeropoint, firenock d, and stainless insert. Not a factory TAC arrow, possibly better?

$142.95 on the firenock site for 3 arrows, with vanes, aeropoint, firenock d, and stainless insert. Not a factory TAC arrow, possibly better?

Everything sounds perfect, but I thought we had to use the factory arrows for warranty support?

Hmm. That reply raises a few questions.

1. Does PSE consider a modified scope rail to be a warranty-voiding modification.
2. Does PSE consider using a three vane fletched TAC shaft in the same manner as above ? In which case you would had to modify the scope rail anyway).
3. How does PSE know if you' ve been using a four vane arrow that isn't a TAC OEM item?

The answer though, is yes regardless...

Im still waiting for mine! Ill be trying the four vanes with Aerovane II on the tac shafts to start with. I have a ghost 400 which I began using Aerovanes on (using the jig).

Hi MoApe,
Since I'm the guy who has written most of the articles on How-To's for the TAC15/15i Crossbows and I'm also the one who's written the articles on how to build and tune your arrows, I'll make the offer to build and provide a fully balanced, custom set of arrows for a limited number of people interested in owning them.

I start with the PSE TAC15 Arrow Shafts and then use both Firenock "D" Nocks and Carbon Express CXL Bull Dog Nock Collars.

For the record, vanes do not have a limited lifespan on any of the arrows that I build. I have a couple thousand shots on my own arrows and have yet to shear a single vane from my shafts.

I use the highest quality bonding adhesives available and I also fletch all vanes using a very customized version of Dorge's Aerojig. My jig has the ability to apply at least 10X the clamping pressure that a Bitzenburger Jig is capable of applying. This results in a bonding strength of several hundred pounds of bonding strength per square inch, which translates into your vanes tearing in half before separating from the arrow shaft.

All arrows are Spine Tested, marked and Nocks Indexed to the Stiff Side of the Spine for uniform timing and shaft deflection.

I will be doing this as a one time favor, so I'm not looking to make money on the deal. I will build these sets at the cost of only $100. per set of ( 6 ) arrows, but will ask that anybody interested covers the shipping costs. The replacement Firenocks and Carbon Express Bull Dog Collars added to the new arrows will cost more than what I'm charging to provide these arrows, so those of you who understand the work involved, will appreciate what I'm offering.

If I had more arrow shafts available, I'd open up the offer to others, but at this time I only have 1 dozen new untouched shafts available and with hunting season closing in my time will soon be very limited until after the season is over.

This will be on a first come, first serve basis.

Regards,

Jon Henry

Hi MoApe,
Since I'm the guy who has written most of the articles on How-To's for the TAC15/15i Crossbows and I'm also the one who's written the articles on how to build and tune your arrows, I'll make the offer to build and provide a fully balanced, custom set of arrows for a limited number of people interested in owning them.

I start with the PSE TAC15 Arrow Shafts and then use both Firenock "D" Nocks and Carbon Express CXL Bull Dog Nock Collars.

For the record, vanes do not have a limited lifespan on any of the arrows that I build. I have a couple thousand shots on my own arrows and have yet to shear a single vane from my shafts.

I use the highest quality bonding adhesives available and I also fletch all vanes using a very customized version of Dorge's Aerojig. My jig has the ability to apply at least 10X the clamping pressure that a Bitzenburger Jig is capable of applying. This results in a bonding strength of several hundred pounds of bonding strength per square inch, which translates into your vanes tearing in half before separating from the arrow shaft.

All arrows are Spine Tested, marked and Nocks Indexed to the Stiff Side of the Spine for uniform timing and shaft deflection.

I will be doing this as a one time favor, so I'm not looking to make money on the deal. I will build these sets at the cost of only $100. per set of ( 6 ) arrows, but will ask that anybody interested covers the shipping costs. The replacement Firenocks and Carbon Express Bull Dog Collars added to the new arrows will cost more than what I'm charging to provide these arrows, so those of you who understand the work involved, will appreciate what I'm offering.

If I had more arrow shafts available, I'd open up the offer to others, but at this time I only have 1 dozen new untouched shafts available and with hunting season closing in my time will soon be very limited until after the season is over.

This will be on a first come, first serve basis.

Regards,

Jon Henry

Jon,

THANK YOU! I will take 6 of them. Please PM me to arrange at your convienience. Again, I really appreciate this.

There is no question that Dorge's jig bonds those vanes onto the shaft. I had him make me some custom Aerobolts for some long range target shooting, and the first arrow ended up finding the same hole in my Spyderweb target on the second shot.

I had to deadlift the arrow out the back of the target, and I could feel the vanes ripping off the arrow. However, I was surprised to see that the vanes were still glued to the shaft. Instead, one of the vanes ripped off at the base.

There is no way a vane bonded to an arrow with Dorge's jig is going to shoot off.

Facebook Photo of Ripped Vane

ETA: And that is an amazing price you're offering for those arrows!

Hi TWANGnBANG,
His vise and magnetic strength to the clamp is one very important part of obtaining a really solid bond, but the other big factor that most people don't seem to recognize is the adhesive that he created.

His Aero glue was specially formulated to achieve a higher bonding strength on carbon shafts when applied very thinly as recommended. I've done extensive testing on his and everybody else's glue on the market. When I published my recommendations on which glues to use to correct the problem of vanes falling off the TAC arrows about a year or two ago, it was based upon the results of this research.

Using a high quality bonding adhesive coupled with a high percentage of downward force on the fletching clamp during the fletching process is the entire key to achieving the highest level of vane adherence to an arrow shaft.

Thanks for mentioning your direct experience. Maybe it will help others understand and resolve these problems.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.