TAC 15/15i Basic Unpublished Information

Okay, time to back up a bit. I have taken a number inserts out and turned them to align them, but this is a no-go for the TAC shafts. They have a two piece insert the likes I have not seen before. Also, the inside of the TAC shaft has been milled out to accept this insert. It is .300 ID on the nock end, but the insert end has been modified to accept the insert. So this is a strange beast. So forget the part above about taking the insert out and realigning it. You cannot do that on this type of shaft with this unique insert like you can on a standard shaft. I had not gotten so far as to start broadhead testing and alignment, but I have on many other shafts with quite a variety of results. So everything else stands, but forget doing anything different with these inserts. You will damage the shaft getting it out and you cannot replace it with any standard components from other companies.

It makes one wonder if the TAC shaft is indeed a tapered (larger diameter on the point end, smaller diameter on the nock end or visa versa) or a "barreled" shaft (fatter in the middle than on either end). This could lead to different dimensions on nock and insert ends of the shaft depending on where the shaft is trimmed.

Please remember, the taper and/or barrel could be internal.

Sounds like an Easton Technical solution.

My TAC shaft "expert" who I sent several damaged shafts for him to dissect, has told me that they are indeed internally tapered. I had not taken one apart till last night, and although I did not measure the throat after the insert was out, it appeared to be much thicker just past where the insert had be milled out. I'll cut the area where the insert was out so I can get a good measurement later and post that info.

Question for Arrow shaft Experts...

Has anyone attempted to see if a TAC-15 Arrow when squeezed end-to-end** between something like a bar clamp, if the Arrow bends in the same direction as indicated from Spine Testing?

** I am wondering if squeezing an Arrow end-to-end to see which way it bends would better simulate the force applied to the arrow shaft when it is shot from a crossbow. The string applying initial force of 155#s to the knock-end against the mass of the arrow-head/insert, along with the front half of the shaft providing initial resiting force, which is all over with in something less than 3.55 milliseconds.

I would want to be watching from a remote camera though.
Now you know why I asked, vs. attempting ! :D

If done using something like a Bar-Clamp (screw crank type) to apply pressure (thus limited to a given distance) vs. say balancing 155#s of weight (thus unlimited till it hits the floor) on one end of a shaft. It shouldn't be risky, but not necessarily safe either.

To my thinking, a Bar-Clamp would be similar to Hydrostatic testing done on Scuba tanks vs. testing a Scuba tank by pressuring it with Air (destructive and bloody dangerous). Using a Bar-Clamp, once the arrow shaft bends at all, the pressure is relieved, and the clamp ends don't continue closing. Still safety precautions would be warranted, the shaft could spring off sideways. There is the question if such a method would cause the arrow shaft to bend (flex) as it normally does when shot, or crush.

I would give it a try, but currently I don't have a Spine tester, thus a way to compare the two results. If only money grew on trees, or I could spend like the Federal Government. :rolleyes:

BTW: Thanks :) for all the work you and others have put into the whole TAC-15 Arrow (shaft, fletching, inserts, knocks, glue) testing. From what little I have done, I know it is a time consuming and often a no-progress endeavor.

OkieBowie,

Since I have the spine tester, I will do this on a few shafts when I get to that point. I happen to have a long bar clamp and will see how it turns out.

BTW, where do I send my medical bills to? :):) Just kiddin'.....

I prefer not to use the 85 grain tip when heating and removing the Tac 15 insert.

I like using a saunders 245 grain tip its much larger about 2 inches. keeps the flame away from the insert an carbon shaft.

you can get them at Lancaster

Hi All

Had the Misfortune to "Partially Dry Fire" my TAC15i on it's first outing.

Can only be a mm or so gap between String & Nock Face, it still hit the "10 Ring" of a 40cm FITA Face at 100yds.

The Nock was pushed 1/2" up the Shredded Shaft.

Makes me think that Easton's Finest may not be up to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://i1182.photobucket.com/albums/x450/Les1580/01092010023.jpg

As for stripping the Fletchings & Nocks - Put in boiling water for 15mins.

Apologies for the Photos - Even an expensive Mobile may not take decent Pictures.

Cheers

Les

Use the macro setting on the mobile and you will get better pics. But what happened to you is the reason PSE started gluing in the nocks from the factory. If your nock backs out just a tiny bit from the previous shot, and you load and shoot it without pushing it tight to the shaft, it acts as a "hammer effect" and drives the nock into the shaft. That is why some people have been doing some nock collars or something to try to prevent this problem.

Hi All,

I just now received a reply from Easton Technical regarding availability of the newest FMJ shafts in 11/32 inch diameter. They say the new FMJ "bolt" will only be offered in a 22 inch length.

It strikes me there is a company that offers a heavy, tapered carbon shaft called the "GrizzlyStik" for dangerous game hunting. I think it would be worth a brief e-mail to them to see if anyone has asked about the suitability of their shafts for this application.
I'll let you know what I hear.

I am (once again) off to see the Wizard.

Konrad

Hi Konrad,
I saw the new FMJ Bolts about a week ago when I was doing the testing work which you are about to see. The problem with the new FMJ's even if they were available in a longer length is that they don't have a stiff enough spine to support these crossbows and there are no plans on the boards to change that. That was confirmed from within Eastons Advisory Board.

Regards,

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.