T7 vs rock chucker

rickdavis81

I have a Dillon 650 and a Rock Chucker. I'm just now getting back into reloading much after building a house and work stuff that kept me away. I'm debating swapping out the Rock Chucker for a Redding T7. I like the idea of leaving all my dies set up to save time. Which I never seem to have enough of. Am I going to loose anything accuracy/consistency wise using the turret? Not that I shoot well enough to probably tell but I'd rather blame that on me than wonder if it's my equipment. I'd like to think that the dies always being set the same vs minor inconsistencies from changing them out would help.

I use a T-7 for most of my reloading (sizing & seating) for my rifle calibers and have found the consistency to be adequate to shoot 1/2 MOA on multiple rifles.

I also like the ability to set up all the dies for a given caliber: body sizer, FL sizer, Seating die plus Mandrel neck sizer & bullet puller.

You can also buy multiple heads for about $70 so you don't even need to take your dies out when switching calibers.

I've had my T-7 with the auto priming system for about 5 years now, works great for my kind of shooting, target varmint, I find it convenient and consistent, no issues, I also have a Forster Coax and a Dillon 550, each has their purpose.
If it were me I'd give the T7 a try, but I'd also keep that Rock Cucker.

I'd like to think that the dies always being set the same vs minor inconsistencies from changing them out would help.
Ultimately you're trading out variances in the die to bushing to press fit on the RC to variances in the head to body fitment in the T7. It should be minimal either way, but there are still a set of threads moving anytime you change out a die or a head.

I don't think those variances on either end will matter a whit, so this is ultimately personal preference. If you want to be able to spin the head to change operations fast, go with the T-7. If you do one operation at a time and don't change dies often, there's nothing wrong with swamping dies in the RC. The difference is a hair-split that doesn't make a practical impact IMO.

Like Mark said I wouldn't get rid of the RC either way, you never know when you'll need to hammer down on something and that press is a standard for a reason.

I have used all types of presses and the only issue I see with the T7 is the cost of the die heads. Depending on how many dies you have it can get VERY expensive at approx. $70 per head. Plus it's a hassle to change heads. If you want to set your dies once then get a Co-Ax.

Ask and ye shall be provided with expensive options:

There's ALWAYS something to spend money on when it comes to loading 🤣

Ask and ye shall be provided with expensive options:

There's ALWAYS something to spend money on when it comes to loading 🤣
Yeah there is. My area 419 powder funnel and pistol adapter and a few boxes of other stuff came in today. Never thought I'd be giving $115 for a powder funnel.

I recently switched from a RCII to a T-7 and noticed no difference in ammo quality. I keep the RC around for decapping, bullet pulling and neck expansion duties. Heads are indeed expensive and becoming increasingly hard to find. Switching heads is simple and only takes a minute or two, but you'll want to keep an extra detent ball and spring on hand when yours decides it wants to fly away.

Creedmoor Sports has a new manufactured head that is machined and has some pretty tight tolerances, not cast, but it's expensive.

Just sold my T7 yesterday to a forum member and I've used that for years. It's nice having dies set up but keeping the five heads around with dies set up takes up too much room for me. Plus I wanted a Coax so hopefully Grafs will get that shipped to me.