T3X lite vs. Vanguard Vias

cohunt

trying to compare these 2 rifles in 7 rem mag

Tikka T3X lite-- SS barrel, black T3X stock, 1:9.5 twist 24.3" barrel-- no Brake, 6.3 pounds 1MOA "guarantee"--holds 3+1--would add a brake if I bought this (t3x super lite is an option here also but only drops .3 pounds over the standard t3x lite)
vs.
Weatherby vanguard VIAS sand cammo stock (sportsmans warehouse exclusive)--cerra-coated, 1:9.5 twist 26" barrel with multi port brake (26" OAL measured with brake), 7.8 pounds, 1MOA "guarantee", holds 4+1

T3x would be about 7.5 lbs scoped, the vias would be around 9 pounds scoped

Last edited:
Does the vanguard have the uncle mikes injection molded stock or a bell and Carlson?

If it's uncle mikes get the tikka. If it's a b&c get the vanguard

Does the vanguard have the uncle mikes injection molded stock or a bell and Carlson?

If it's uncle mikes get the tikka. If it's a b&c get the vanguard
pretty sure it's the injected, not B&C--as it has the "grip panel lines" on the stock

just saw that browning has the x-bolt stalker Long range in 7 RM with a 1:8 twist --sells for about $50 less than the tikka---weighs 7lb 10 oz, injection molded stock, 26" barrel, muzzle brake, holds 3 in mag

any reports of accuracy from the stalker long range??? don't see the "1 MOA guarantee" from browning, but I like the slightly faster twist rate

The twist rate is definitely a plus on the xbolt, but 165 class bullets aren't slouches in the bc department either.
With the heavies, throat length and magazine length become concerns also

trying to compare these 2 rifles in 7 rem mag

Tikka T3X lite-- SS barrel, black T3X stock, 1:9.5 twist 24.3" barrel-- no Brake, 6.3 pounds 1MOA "guarantee"--holds 3+1--would add a brake if I bought this (t3x super lite is an option here also but only drops .3 pounds over the standard t3x lite)
vs.
Weatherby vanguard VIAS sand cammo stock (sportsmans warehouse exclusive)--cerra-coated, 1:9.5 twist 26" barrel with multi port brake (26" OAL measured with brake), 7.8 pounds, 1MOA "guarantee", holds 4+1

T3x would be about 7.5 lbs scoped, the vias would be around 9 pounds scoped
No experience with the Vias model, but vanguards are the bottom of the barrel offering from weatherby.
I had one in the past and the action, bolt, etc are inferior to the tikkas.
I had a tikka 7mm mag super lite that shot 1/2 moa, kicked a little too much so I rebarreled it to a 6.5 Saum.
The only thing I don't like about long action cartridges in a tikka action is the limited mag length.

It's a toss up for me but the browning x bolt gets my vote for longe range and value.

I love my tikka T3 and my son loves his tikka T3X both in 270 wsm... changed the trigger spring to 1.5# for $15 and changed the factory recoil lug to a titanium recoil lug for $45 and it shoots under 1/2" @ 100 yds on the first try. Very light but with a noisy flimsy stock.

I also got several browning x bolts and they all shoot amazing under 3/4" @ 200 yds but they took a way longer to tune. The browning duratouch stock is way better than the tikka plastic stock. It was a chore but I cut 1 coil out of the trigger spring and it got down to 1.75"# which is the x bolts only drawback, a heavy trigger from the factory.

The Weatherby although I love their shotguns, their rifles sucked for me. Wasted my money twice, never again.

I have two standard X-bolt .280s that shot 1/2" with the first handloads I tried. Easiest rifles I have loaded for. They shoot everything I have tried in them well.
They are the 26" barreled SHOT show specials.
Also, the X-Bolt recoil pad is terrific, reducing felt recoil considerably. I doubt you will have to use the brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.