T/C Triumph

shootinwv

Hey Guys. I have a Triumph on the way and was wondering what powder and bullet combo everyone is getting the best accuracy with. Trying to narrow down my choices a bit.

Just went thru a nutroll with my stepsisters triumph

Go to Randy Wakemans muzzleloading forum and do a lot of reading.

Randy Wakeman on Inline Muzzleloading

They are super tight bores and have a problem with a lot of normal bullets

Bottom line is 100-120 gr loose 777 powder is a go to load

Swab between each shot! Then fire another primer only to clear flash hole.

I like the TC T17 cleaning patches and T17 seasoning patches.

777 Primers

Bullets- Hornady 240 XTPs

Barnes Spitfiress T-EZ for tightbore guns. Either 250 or 290 grain

http://www.randywakeman.com/MuzzleloadingWithBarnes.htm

A lot of people like the Blackhorn 209 but 2x as costly. 100-120 grains

BH

Last edited:
Just to show how fickle some rifles can be, got finished wringing out the Triumph for my step sister

Ended up with the green hornady sabots, hornady 240 XTPS and 2 pellet 777 (100 gr) with 777 primers. All into one hole repeatedly at 100 (4x at least). Had to swab between shots too and then fire a primer before loading.

Tried at least 10 other bullets/sbots and all of the MMP sabots, CCI, Win and Rem primers and best other group was about 1.5 inches with the 240 XTP and black MMP sabots for tight bores and loose 777 powder with 777 primer.

If did not like white hots, blackhorn, pyrodex powders at all.

Honestly was amazed that the gun like the pellets over Blackhorn or loose 777 but it did.

BH

I checked Hornadys site and did not see an XTPS. I only saw the XTP Mag and the HP XTP. Which did you use.

Just to show how fickle some rifles can be, got finished wringing out the Triumph for my step sister

Ended up with the green hornady sabots, hornady 240 XTPS and 2 pellet 777 (100 gr) with 777 primers. All into one hole repeatedly at 100 (4x at least). Had to swab between shots too and then fire a primer before loading.

Tried at least 10 other bullets/sbots and all of the MMP sabots, CCI, Win and Rem primers and best other group was about 1.5 inches with the 240 XTP and black MMP sabots for tight bores and loose 777 powder with 777 primer.

If did not like white hots, blackhorn, pyrodex powders at all.

Honestly was amazed that the gun like the pellets over Blackhorn or loose 777 but it did.

BH

Do you know where I can get a hold of those green saboted 240 gn. Hornady .44/.50 cals? I cannot find them anywhere!

Use the Hornady 250 gr. SST with the red sabot (sometimes the TC 250gr. SuperGlides are tight). They load and shoot pretty good. For power use 777 FFG or blackhorn 209. With the 777 you'll probably need to patch between shots, the blackhorn you won't. The 777 is cheaper tho, even tho you need to use a bit more to attain the same velocity as a lighter charge of bh209.

Good luck, they're a good shootin gun.

I have had my Triumph for three years and love it. I started out with T7 mag pellets then switched to BH209. BH209 is the only powder I would use in a modern inline. 120 gr and Barnes 290 gr TMZ is devastating and very accurate. I have lots of experience trying different loads and the Triumph does have a very tight bore, but the powder seems to preffer that

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.