T/c prohunter............12ga or 20ga?

meatyrem

I am wanting to get a t/c prohunter slug barrel. But, I can't decide to get a 20ga or a 12ga. I am not bothered by recoil and I have been shooting 12ga since I was twelve witch is when I got my first 870 12ga. A friend of mine suggested I go with a 20ga for the reason he has heard that the twelve is very brutal in recoil because the gun (tc prohunter) is so light. I am thinking I won't have a problem. I also would want a twelve because there is more slug options and a little more range with the twelve. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience on this subject.

you are correct that there are more slug options for the 12. i have a 12 gauge barrel on my tc. it is absolutly brutal to shoot with slugs, worse than my 500 A-square. i also got a 20 gauge slug barrel for my son's tc. it isn't bad to shoot and with the remington green tipped slugs it is a true moa shotgun out to 150 yards. that is as far as i tested it.

Does anyone know how much the TC with the slug barrel weighs? And compared to say like an 870 rem with slug barrel. Or is there much difference at all between the two. Or comparable recoil between the two? I have no problem handling multiple ( over a dozen ) 12ga 3" at one setting.

I shoot a 12 ga 870 and my wife shoots a H&R 20 ga. I added weight to the forearm and stock of my 870 to help reduce the recoil. I've seen the damage both guns do at different ranges and IMO the 20 is a better choice. I can't stand to shoot my 870 more than a few times before I want to use it as a boat anchor. My wife's 20 ga is very comfortable to shoot, very accurate, and has a great trigger compared to my 870.

I'm probably gonna end up doing both. I might get the twelve to try it out, and then pick up an h&r ultra slug in a twenty, then when my son gets old enough he will be able to use the 20ga. I work with a guy who has a twelve in an encore and he doesn't mind the recoil and loves how it shoots.

Follow-up to this thread:

I ended up going with the 12ga pro-hunter 28" ss fluted. Looks very sweet too. I may have to go with a weaver base I'm not sure if lupy makes a base for the shotgun barrel. I could be wrong, I'll have to do some searching on this and find out for sure. If anyone knows I'd be glad to hear it. So my plan is to try a few different kinds of slugs and zero the best one.

Will try to report back with info.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.