T/c encore breech plug modification

hammer111

Has anyone modified their breech plug to except magnum rifle primers

Is there a improvement in accuracy. Does anyone sell plugs already modified.
Thanks

I highly recommend David white at d and t custom Gunworks in Oklahoma. He does a lot of work on tc encores . He has done work for me on tc encores and he is a very nice and honest guy

What I've read is the 209 primers have too much energy they can lift the bullet off the powder before the powder completely ignites. Creating flyers.

Add to that, they are very dirty. I experienced this yesterday while sighting in my encore. After a couple shots I couldn't get the bullet far enough down the barrel to seat the bullet on top of the powder.

My shots were everywhere.went home cleaned gun and first shot at 25 y was 2" off center. Second shot I couldn't seat without taping the ram rod with a hammer.

I think I need this mod. I'd like to buy a pug already modified.

I'm going to assume the encore 209 x 50 has a 1 in 28 twist. Because I can't rate anywhere.

Wow that's more than I bargained for. I'm going to have to modify my stock plug.I only shoot this gun once or twice a year.

Everything of quality costs and yes, it scares the heck out of some. However, that purchase is one and done. No leaking, no breech plug replacements.
If you only shoot it once or twice a year, then there's no reason to change from what you currently have. There are other options for making Encore platform rifles shoot very accurately to 200yds and beyond.

I'm going to assume the encore 209 x 50 has a 1 in 28 twist. Because I can't rate anywhere.

That is correct. 1:28 twist.

What I've read is the 209 primers have too much energy they can lift the bullet off the powder before the powder completely ignites. Creating flyers.

Add to that, they are very dirty. I experienced this yesterday while sighting in my encore. After a couple shots I couldn't get the bullet far enough down the barrel to seat the bullet on top of the powder.

My shots were everywhere.went home cleaned gun and first shot at 25 y was 2" off center. Second shot I couldn't seat without taping the ram rod with a hammer.

I think I need this mod. I'd like to buy a pug already modified.

The 209 primer is fine and that's not what causes flyers. That BS has been floating around for years. Who ever believes that, should take a trip to one of the inline competitions and see what the top shooters in the nation are using for primers and propellants.

I would assume being that you didn't mention it, you're not shooting BH209, but shooting another propellant, maybe even pellets? If you're using T7, its the propellant itself that's creating the crud ring, causing you loading issues.

Sorry it didn't work for you.
Its been working great for me. The cva Paramount uses it.
https://cva.com/product-line/paramount-rifle/

I'm glad that it works for you.

Yes the Paramount uses that leaking vari-flame system. CVA made a huge mistake in many people's minds going with that system and are already sending out replacement self-head spacing bolt springs trying to correct the leaking issues. For some it has helped, for others they leak just as bad. There's a ton of information floating around about the vari-flame system, not much of it good.
When the Paramount first hit retailers, so many owners complained about leaks, so the replacement heavy duty bolt spring helped. CVA sends those out free of cost to owners having issues.
However, it didn't help a lot of owners, thus someone else created a system to completely and forever stop all leaks.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/paramount-arrowhead-gen2-upgrade/

This is the same business that also created a new ignition system for both the RUM and UF rifles. It does the same thing, it will never leak and never needs replacement.

I'll edit this in. This is a quote from a Paramount owner on another site:

"Well guys after about 40 shots out of my paramount i am getting a lot of blow black!! Vari flames are all black with residue. I changed the spring out that CVA sent me but it has not solved the problem.
Unfortunately for me i am leaving to hunt illinois in 3 days and need a quick dependable fix.
What are your suggestions?
What should i try?"

Another quote:

"Well I think it's fair to say that the cat is way outta the bag on that BS. I've not heard or read a single *** experience w/that heavier spring. Notta! It's pretty cruddy IMO that CVA/BPI don't already include the heavy spring with the kit or do something to fix that issue plaguing the Paramount. I hope they don't follow in Knights foot steps in knowing full well for decades & have changed nothing with the probs with their plugs & those dang (edited per rule 4) plastic things they still use in new guns."

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.