T-3 300 WSM. long action magazine.

Duane Waterson

I know beating a dead horse but, still have no deffinate answers on how to shoot longer than factory wsm. magazine allows. Before I get told to use the search at top of screen just let me say after lots of research I am still inconclusive on if I can use a long action mag. (300 wm) even with some mods and get effective feeding from my current load.( Berger hybrid 215g seated @ 3.083 oal.) I asked a fellow member today if he could fit WSM. shells into a 300 win Tikka mag (2014 model) and he said "they are to wide" I know wsm's are approximately .020 bigger in diameter. So looking for someone to help me out! No brother's friend's girlfriend's dad bs. Looking for personal experience. Thanks for any help in advance!

I know beating a dead horse but, still have no deffinate answers on how to shoot longer than factory wsm. magazine allows. Before I get told to use the search at top of screen just let me say after lots of research I am still inconclusive on if I can use a long action mag. (300 wm) even with some mods and get effective feeding from my current load.( Berger hybrid 215g seated @ 3.083 oal.) I asked a fellow member today if he could fit WSM. shells into a 300 win Tikka mag (2014 model) and he said "they are to wide" I know wsm's are approximately .020 bigger in diameter. So looking for someone to help me out! No brother's friend's girlfriend's dad bs. Looking for personal experience. Thanks for any help in advance!

Not sure what the difference is but I have a SAKO M995 in .300 win Mag just for comparison only. Below is 190 Berger VLD in .300 Win Mag handload (CBTO = 3.620") and factory Winchester 150 SP .300 WSM (CBTO = 2.758").

300WMvs300WSM_zps2b98c5b2.jpg

I would think it's pretty close to Tikkas but I don't have one. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

I'm interested in the same question also. I have been researching and no one is producing a 300 wsm magazine. On ( tikka shooters.com ) there is a post on how to modify a factory Tikka magazine for longer "coal" ammunition. With that being said you will need a new long action bolt stop or modify existing stop. That mod is there as well. You my have better luck modifying an accuracy international magazine somehow and use the BDM to accept AI magazine. I'm sure if there is a will there is a way, I just haven't had the time to potentially ruin any magazines yet!

You can always single feed!

I'm sure you probably have heard all of this already, good luck and share what you find!

I just saw on CDiprecision gun works website under FAQ section a blurb about using AI 308 magazine with a lip mod. I don't know what coal will be but it may be worth a phone call. It also says alpha morta mag will work also. Look on the bottom of FAQ page under ultra mags and short mags.

I'm interested in the same question also. I have been researching and no one is producing a 300 wsm magazine. On ( tikka shooters.com ) there is a post on how to modify a factory Tikka magazine for longer "coal" ammunition. With that being said you will need a new long action bolt stop or modify existing stop. That mod is there as well. You my have better luck modifying an accuracy international magazine somehow and use the BDM to accept AI magazine. I'm sure if there is a will there is a way, I just haven't had the time to potentially ruin any magazines yet!

You can always single feed!

I'm sure you probably have heard all of this already, good luck and share what you find!

Alpha Industries makes them
>>> .300WSM Magazines

I know the WSMs will feed from a 300WM AI detachable mag. Don't know if that helps much.

The "alpha" mags don't offer enough length. (Oal) I'll keep looking as far as cdi. And such. Thanks all who have posted.

As you can see on #5, it was a response for the corresponding highlighted comment. lightbulb

I have been researching and no one is producing a 300 wsm magazine.

I too will be doing load development on my .300 WSM using Berger 215s. My pre-load development measurements are as follows:

Magazine COAL = 3.03"

Touching the land:

COAL = 3.042"

CBTO = 2.277"

If I jump it .010" - .020", I'll have enough clearance without any feeding issues.

View attachment 53709So long over due its finally been done.. I ordered the long action magazine and out of the two mags I made this one which holds and feeds the 215 hybrid pretty well. It's not the easiest to put the 3rd round into but works fine. After altering the bolt stop. I have cycled some rounds into the chamber with no issues so far. I'll be awaiting some actual field results here shortly as Pa. Bear season comes around. Would be nice to have some terminal performance bullet results also but we will see. Ha ha

Attachments

• IMG_20151110_151149544.jpg
    IMG_20151110_151149544.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20151110_145238958.jpg
    IMG_20151110_145238958.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 108
Just wondering if your project was a success, I am also bent on converting my Tikka T3 into running a 300 WSM long action cartridge in order to shoot the 212 gr ELD-X, 200 gr LRX and 215 Berger Hybrid bullets without them shoved deep in case ,
the common response is "do a 300 Win Mag" , I do have a 300 Win Mag Win70, just want to long throat existing factory barrel on the Tikka T3 to max length possible and use the Tikka 300 Win Mag detachable mags ,

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.