synthetic stock stiffening

G

How do I go about strengthening the forend of my synthetic stock. It is a factory Tikka and if a put some pressure on the forend it will touch the barrel. Doesn't happen on the bench but in a hunting shot it might. The forend has an x pattern in it so I was wondering if I could fill it with epoxy or something. I don't mind if it adds a little weight to it.

Harv,
I've heard of people taking carbon arrows and cutting them to fit and using epoxy to glue them in the fore end. I think that would stiffen it up quite a bit.
Wayne

Harv,

The carbon arrow trick works pretty good. When weight is not a consern, I fit a 3/8" steel rod in the forearm and bed it in from the recoil lug to about 2" from the forarm tip. Cover it with Accraglass Gel, Marine Tex, or Devcon (F2) liquid aluminum. It will make it stiffer than a gear shifter.

Headhunter.

If I add to much weight to the forend I should probably add some to the butt. How should a gun balance? This gun is light so wouldn't mind adding some weight.

I wouldn't add weight to the Butt unless it was Grossly barrel heavy. If you have to, you can take off the recoil pad, drill a hole in the stock and put some lead in there until it suits you.

Headhunter.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.