switching to hunting bullet for 6.5 saum, input welcome

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by rockwind, Oct 2, 2018.

1. rockwind

rockwind Well-Known Member

need hunting bullet input. 24" proof .120 freebore 1:9 barrel on my saum. been using 150 smk's that work darn good but i am switching to a more dedicated hunting bullet, the current contenders are the 143 eld x, the 142 accubond LR, and of course the bergers has the 140 vld or elite. unless i am missing something, not too many other good choices. would appreciate reasonable advice based on recent experience. i want as heavy a bullet as accurately possible, i lean towards the bergers because bryan litz recommends them. however, the accubond have a great history for a hunting bullet and the hornady's, well,,,, after using hornady brass,,,,my impression of things hornady is not positive but i know lots of folks like the eld's thanks in advance

2. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

In my opinion, you have it covered. My choice based on experience is the Berger.

3. rockwind

course there is the lapua scenar 139 someone just reminded, can't leave that out

4. Farmerboy78

Farmerboy78 Well-Known Member

the hybrid works well also

5. BEEMAN

BEEMAN Well-Known Member

Could look into Matrix bullets if you want something heavier. They make up to a 160 gr. VLD. The 150’s shot very good out of my 6.5 Sherman. 160’s were not bad but the 150’s were better.

6. huntandfish2983

huntandfish2983 Member

I shot the elite hunters in my 6.5 saum last deer season. This year I'm gonna try the 140 eld match.

Farmerboy78 likes this.
  7. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I am taking my 6.5 SAUM with me this week to New Mexico for elk. I will be shooting (hopefully) 140 VLD.

8. rockwind

good luck!

Rick Richard likes this.
  9. 26Reload

26Reload Well-Known Member

You mentioned two noslers bullets...they are not alike...
    The LRAB(LONGRANGE ACCUBOND) is much thinner in the front than the standard Accubond...also i believe the body of the acc to be heavier...
    And i believe the frontal portion of the LRAB is made softer than the acc...
    I have only one elk to have the experience with..but that lrab left a .5" chunk of the boattail in the elk....sure it killed the elk...but fragments were allover the place....that was 570 yards....accubonds have proven they stay together much better....

10. Plowboy85

Plowboy85 Well-Known Member

The hybrids work very well for me with accuracy and delivering death lol

Farmerboy78 likes this.
  11. rockwind

thanks for all the input! i believe i have found my answer!

12. STI

STI Member

std accubond is what I settled on, I found 143ELD-X were too explodey and wrecked / wasted too much meat however a lot of you guys seem to like that

13. L.Sherm

L.Sherm Well-Known Member

I would question the stability with a 9 twist.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    memyselfni likes this.
  14. rockwind

oops,,, that is 1:8. i had been messing with my 7 rm which is a 9 and got confused