Switching to hammers, strip barrel?

highdrum

Curios of how many you guys cleaned everything from the barrel prior to switching over? Stopped by their shop today and acquired some bullets:
121 HH in my 257 blackbird
70 HH & 73 AH for the 22creed
124 HH for the 6.5max
181 HH for the 300wsm

A friend of mine switches back and forth every time we shoot without any problems right or wrong you can go to the post shooting 22 creedmoor for target and see how his guns preform at 1200 yds that is my target in the picture pretty impressive. David

I've got the creed clean, working on the rest! Thanks guys. I ran some the PVA Cayuga solids last year and they shoot phenomenal and very easy to tune, but on game performance was lackluster for me. So trying hammers. Bc is a big drop from my norms, but the added velocity should keep things on par for drops to reasonable hunting ranges.

I intend to do a thorough cleaning whenever I change bullets or powder. Especially when doing load testing. But it doesn't always get done if shooting recreationally.

Curios of how many you guys cleaned everything from the barrel prior to switching over? Stopped by their shop today and acquired some bullets:
121 HH in my 257 blackbird
70 HH & 73 AH for the 22creed
124 HH for the 6.5max
181 HH for the 300wsm
I live about 2.5hrs from our club. While I'm there I normally test fire several different loads in any particular rifle. I've shot the Hammers before, during and after shooting cup & core bullets. I've never cleaned in between shooting different bullet types and never noticed any difference. Each session starts with a clean barrel but doesn't get cleaned again until I get home.

Steve has stated (somewhere on the net) that they didn't see a need to clean in between but acknowledged that others may have had a different experience.

I think that the need to strip the bore before testing comes from Barnes Bullets. They recommend the practice IIRC.

124s looking promising in the 6.5 max, 181s got great velocity in the wsm but the ladder looked bad. Picked a flat spot in velocity, and loaded 10k 25k 37k and 50k off lands, 10k was under 3/4" at 100y, everything else was poor. Anyone seat these suckers deep?

124s looking promising in the 6.5 max, 181s got great velocity in the wsm but the ladder looked bad. Picked a flat spot in velocity, and loaded 10k 25k 37k and 50k off lands, 10k was under 3/4" at 100y, everything else was poor. Anyone seat these suckers deep?
I seat them as deep as I possibly can, to the last PDR groove if the powder will allow

I saw no reason to strip the barrel. I was dual loading bergers and hammers in my rifle last season and saw no difference in POI on cold bore impacts at long range when switching back in forth and I tested this multiple times a week before and during hunting season to ensure everything is dialed in.

The hammers ive loaded are not real picky. I would try a a few more charge weights at a single seating depth and if they still aren't shooting well I'd try another powder.

I saw no reason to strip the barrel. I was dual loading bergers and hammers in my rifle last season and saw no difference in POI on cold bore impacts at long range when switching back in forth and I tested this multiple times a week before and during hunting season to ensure everything is dialed in.

The hammers ive loaded are not real picky. I would try a a few more charge weights at a single seating depth and if they still aren't shooting well I'd try another powder.
It's suggested so the is no other bullet material to interfere with the PDR bands as well as stripping material from the Hammers, once the barrel is clean and you just shoot Hammers copper fouling is basically non existent

Recent Posts