Switching to Berger 215 Hybrid from 210 Hunting VLD - any advice?

I might play with some different powders as my load in my 300 rum used retumbo, but I have quite a bit of rl25 that I might try.

Right now I'm using RL25 with both the 210 and 215. I was able to shoot some more this morning, working up in half grain increments. Started to see pressure signs at 75.5 grains RL25 @ ~2970 fps, and unfortunately did not find another sweet spot above the first group I shot at 73 grains. I'm going to try some H1000 next to change up the impulse. I've found with this gun that it will shoot just about anything to about 3/4 moa, but it's not dialed in until it's shooting around .3 moa.

75.5-78.5 will be in the money with H-1000. Re-22 around 72 grains will work great also.

Thanks for the info... I've got both h1000 and rl22. I'll try the h1000 first as so many here have recommended it with heavy bullets, but won't hesitate to try out the rl22 if the h1000 doesn't work out.

Right now I still kind of go back and forth as to whether or not it's worth trying for more velocity. 2760 fps with the 215 at .3 moa still makes for a very effective long range load.... but for a 300 win mag case w/ 26" barrel, I'm probably leaving a full 100 fps of velocity potential on the table. I at least want to try for a sub 1/2 moa load in the mid 2800 fps range. But if nothing else works at least I've got the 2760 fps load that seems to be shooting .3moa ready to go.

I run mine at 78.2 gr of h-1000 for 2930fps. Your running 30-06 speeds now. That's like buying a ferarri to drive the speed limit, lol.

I run mine at 78.2 gr of h-1000 for 2930fps. Your running 30-06 speeds now. That's like buying a ferarri to drive the speed limit, lol.

Yup. that's my thought too. What sucks is i'm totally booked up on the weekends for the next few weeks so this is going to drive me nuts not being able to shoot and figure this out.

Just reporting back that I was able to tweak my load with the 215 Hybrid and get a touch more accuracy at an average velocity of 2834 fps. Not blazing fast, but wow is it accurate. I think the accuracy is just me shooting this rifle a bit better ... it is definitely more accurate than I am capable.

At the range I've was able to hold 1/4 moa to 200 yards, and in the field I was able to hold 1/2 moa at long range. Shooting in the wind is dang tough but this 215 hybrid sure helps me shoot better. So now I've verified my velocity/b.c. and feel very confident that this setup will deliver a bullet with enough energy and accuracy to further than I am willing to shoot in the field.

Headed up friday morning with a cow elk tag and a bear tag. These last couple of days at work are going to be tough...

When I did this I simply changed one thing. I backed the powder off a few grains and worked up. One grain below my 210 load with the same seating depth (-.040" off the lands) the rifle was shooting ragged holes and was above the velocity of the 210 load by close to 50 fps.

I took it straight to 1000 yards and it shot under 4" with the first 3 shot group. Further drop work showed the perfect velocity for the program to be 35 fps above the 210 load. That is where it has stayed and has been a killing machine to well over 1000.

I used the G7 bc right off the box and have shot it well past a mile with great results.

Hope this might be of some help.

Good luck.

Jeff

^^^^ This. Keep your load work-up as simple as possible - it allows for more time shooting! :D

All sorts of great info on here about the 215...
I am shooting a .300 win as well and just found a very accurate load using 75 grains of H1000. I am not sure of my velocities yet, but I have no signs of pressure whatsoever. Would love to see 2900, but anything in that 2800 range I will be happy with. Can't wait to try it out on an elk or two this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.