Switching to Berger 215 Hybrid from 210 Hunting VLD - any advice?

Timber338

From a tip from a helpful forum member, I was able to FINALLY get some .308 Berger 215 Hybrids. I currently have an amazing load worked up with the 210 Hunting VLD in my 300 win mag that shoots sub-3/8 moa in the mid 2800 fps range.

Should I plan on just starting the entire load development over from scratch, should I start out from where I left off with the 210? Will seating depth sweet spot change because the 215 is a hybrid and the 210 was not?

My rifle liked the 210 VLD a full .085" away from the lands, and I normally like to keep them much closer around .005" - .010" away. My initial thoughts are to just start load development over from scratch with the bullet up close..

But, I figure several guys have gone through this already so I thought it was at least worth asking the question and see if there is any sage advice on this transition.

Thanks!

I doubt you need any advice but I hardly ever pass up an opportunity to give some.:roll eyes:

It's pretty simple.

Set up the load using your personal procedure. Get a couple of shots close together till your comfortable w/results.

Zero at your chosen distance.

Tweak your drops a little.

Then go harvest somethin'.

Pretty simple, huh?

Have fun and enjoy your shooting.

When I did this I simply changed one thing. I backed the powder off a few grains and worked up. One grain below my 210 load with the same seating depth (-.040" off the lands) the rifle was shooting ragged holes and was above the velocity of the 210 load by close to 50 fps.

I took it straight to 1000 yards and it shot under 4" with the first 3 shot group. Further drop work showed the perfect velocity for the program to be 35 fps above the 210 load. That is where it has stayed and has been a killing machine to well over 1000.

I used the G7 bc right off the box and have shot it well past a mile with great results.

Hope this might be of some help.

Good luck.

Jeff

Yes, very helpful. Thank you gentlemen!

I will definitely start out at the same seating depth and drop a few grains and work back up to see where it shoots good again. I can do that very quickly in a single range session. If I do not get down to the ~.3" accuracy I was getting with the 210 then I can always change seating depth around, but with the way this gun shoots I don't think it will have any issues and it would be nice to save some time. At least a great place to start. I will post up the results and how it all worked out when I am able to get out to the range next. Hopefully within the next week.

Thanks again for the advice!

Wanted to report back with some interesting results. Super crunched for time so just dropped 1 grain and ran out early this morning. Kept the same .085" jump from the 210vld load. Great accuracy but velocity dropped more than I was expecting.
Velocity:
1. 2760
2. 2754
3. 2766
Sub .3" group.
A few thoughts: these 215's are one hell of a bullet. Loads felt light... this bullet must really create overall less pressure than the 210 at only 1 grain less powder. Smaller bearing surface? I think I have the potential for another couple grains and get velocity up near 2900. rifle really seems to like .085" jump. Overall very happy as I was worried whether or not the rifle would like this new bullet. Also thinking that a 26" barrel is a bit of a handicap with these heavy bullets. Some day new barrel will be 28".

Will report back whenever I have time to dial in my hunting load. Boy does life get busy with an infant and a 2 year old at home... Not much time for this stuff.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 121
Looks great to me. Yep shorter bearing surface gained me some velocity over the 210 HVLD.

I will say it again. The 215 Berger Hybrid is the best thing that has happened to the 300 win in a long time. A match made in heaven.

.085 jump too. They just seem to shoot no matter what. Maybe this will cure some of the internet BS that Bergers need to be jammed and they won't shoot with a long jump.:rolleyes:

.3 and a clover leaf to boot. What's not to love?

Congrats.

Jeff

After seeing what they did to some nice bull elk when stuck in the crease I would not have to think very long...:)

Jeff
Just do it... You will not regret it. Lots if info on this forum for how deadly they are on game and now I know first hand how accurate they are.
I'm on it guys I'll try em just gotta see how they shoot my rifle. Broz what would try on moose or brown bear???? 230???

Broz what would try on moose or brown bear???? 230???

I have never shot either, so lets get that out her up front. But If a was going and was taking my 300 win I would use the 215 for Moose, and if I thought there would be shots under 300 for the bear I would go to a 230 OTM.

My suggestions are drawn from many elk and a few Black bear taken with both the 215 and the 230.

Jeff

For brown bear I would go as heavy as possible. The more lead you can disperse through the lungs and heart the quicker it will die. I would go either the 215 or 230 for moose. But like Broz I have never shot either.

But whatever you choose please post up the results!!!

Nice group Timber 338! I just scored three more boxes of 215's from a member here. Seems that all of the gun stores I have been in lately have had the 210 hunting bullets and the 230's, but no 215s. I might play with some different powders as my load in my 300 rum used retumbo, but I have quite a bit of rl25 that I might try.

I have never shot either, so lets get that out her up front. But If a was going and was taking my 300 win I would use the 215 for Moose, and if I thought there would be shots under 300 for the bear I would go to a 230 OTM.

My suggestions are drawn from many elk and a few Black bear taken with both the 215 and the 230.

Jeff
For brown bear I would go as heavy as possible. The more lead you can disperse through the lungs and heart the quicker it will die. I would go either the 215 or 230 for moose. But like Broz I have never shot either.

But whatever you choose please post up the results!!!
Ok guys I gotcha, will be trying these in my Gradous, hopefully I can get some descent groups for both. I feel if descent groups are accomplished with the 230s that will be my bullet of choice for the September Alaskan hunt, which will be primarily moose, caribou and possibly brown bear. The 215s will be for game here(OK), MO, KS, S.C. and AL!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.