Switching to a lighter bullet, should I change powder?

Tyler75

On my Son's 7 saum we have been working with 155 gr hammer hunter with H4831sc. I was thinking about changing to the 143gr hh. So my question is, when you change bullet weight, how much weight change before you start thinking about switching powder to a different burn rate?
If I should switch powder, I don't want to waste all my H4831sc learning that lesson powder is too valuable. What powder would get me maximum speed with the 143 hh ?
Thanks for the help and sorry if this was a bit confusing.

On my Son's 7 saum we have been working with 155 gr hammer hunter with H4831sc. I was thinking about changing to the 143gr hh. So my question is, when you change bullet weight, how much weight change before you start thinking about switching powder to a different burn rate?
If I should switch powder, I don't want to waste all my H4831sc learning that lesson powder is too valuable. What powder would get me maximum speed with the 143 hh ?
Thanks for the help and sorry if this was a bit confusing.
If you still have powder space with the current bullet , use up the remaining case volume and see where it takes you , vel and pressure wise . If you don't pressure out then go too the next fastest powder

H4350, RL16 and H4831sc are the best options for bullets from 140gr and 150gr. RL23 takes the lead on bullets weighting 160gr. RL26 and H1000 on 168gr and up.

Answer to your questions is, H4831cs will also work great with the lighter bullet.

I've had good results with the 143 HH and RE23 and RE26 in my 7WSM. The RE26 will produce the highest velocity without excess pressure indications in my rifle. Your 7SAUM would likely have similar results.

Recent Posts