Switching from VX6-HD to ATACR

Huntnful

Well I just pulled the trigger on an ATACR 7-35X56 Enhanced (SFP) MOAR-T.

I've been using a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24X52 for the last year. It's been a great scope and has never let me down. Literally had no reason for the change up other than curiosity. I really wanted to compare their two top tier optics to each other.

I decided on the ATACR over the NX8 after a ton of research. Obviously the extra 10oz was the big hang up. But I feel, If I'm going to see what nightforce is all about, I should really go with their best scope with no compromises other than the weight. But with the weight comes a better overall package also. Super curious to throw this on my gun and see how it compares to the leupold and if the extra 11oz (over the leupold) is a game changer or not.

I hunt A LOT and pack my rifle around A LOT. The ATACR would bring my gun up to 9lb11oz. But the added weight will of course manage the recoil just that much better and I would assume, bring with it even more rigidity. Which is also a big deal with a rifle that is constantly strapped to a pack or throw over a shoulder for miles upon miles, and honestly somewhat abused.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the two scopes!! Also, I just love to mess with gear and stuff, so that's always fun haha. It'll be going on this Hells Canyon Armory "Carbon Killer" in 28 nosler. I shoot steel at 1000+ very often and this is furthest kill, at 630 yards.
IMG_5960.jpeg

I am in the same boat but when I try a new scope I go ahead and build a new rifle to go along with it. I have the early VX-6 4-24x and like it but like the March 2.5-25x52 better and they sit on most of my hunting rifles as the glass is better and more elevation 120 MOA vs ~70 for the VX-6. I have had four NF scopes and am down to two of them as I'm not a fan of the rotating eyepiece and I had the not in focus while the image is parallax free issue. I recently put the 5-25x ATACR on a 9lb 300 RUM and the first thing that struck me was how big the turrets were compared to the March and VX-6, but that's part of having an ATACR, it's big, heavy, and packs a bit awkward compared to the more compact models. The clicks on the March are more pronounced and the zero stop is the easiest around. As far as recoil management goes switch out that 3 port brake to a 4 or 5 port and you will be happier. I push a 227 grain over 3,000 fps and very little recoil and can spot shots at 20x with a 5 port Beast from Muzzle Brakes And More. I took a cow at 987 yards with the ATACR so yes it works and I'm happy with it.

I am in the same boat but when I try a new scope I go ahead and build a new rifle to go along with it. I have the early VX-6 4-24x and like it but like the March 2.5-25x52 better and they sit on most of my hunting rifles as the glass is better and more elevation 120 MOA vs ~70 for the VX-6. I have had four NF scopes and am down to two of them as I'm not a fan of the rotating eyepiece and I had the not in focus while the image is parallax free issue. I recently put the 5-25x ATACR on a 9lb 300 RUM and the first thing that struck me was how big the turrets were compared to the March and VX-6, but that's part of having an ATACR, it's big, heavy, and packs a bit awkward compared to the more compact models. The clicks on the March are more pronounced and the zero stop is the easiest around. As far as recoil management goes switch out that 3 port brake to a 4 or 5 port and you will be happier. I push a 227 grain over 3,000 fps and very little recoil and can spot shots at 20x with a 5 port Beast from Muzzle Brakes And More. I took a cow at 987 yards with the ATACR so yes it works and I'm happy with it.
Thank you for the input! I sure appreciate it! If I don't like the ATACR I'll be shopping around some more for sure! And recoil isn't an issue at all, I just figured that'd be a benefit from the heavier optic. But I'll keep that in mind if I build a heavier recoiling gun. This 28 kicks about like a .243. No flinching and no problem spotting hits!
I'll be interested in what you think.

Thanks sure a wide spread on that buck.
I'm looking forward to the change up for sure!! And thank you! He was 30 3/8" wide.

The NX8 is a better hunting scope IMO. Size and weight and it has nice glass.
Man, I strongly considered it for sure! But after too **** much research I decided on the ATACR and to take the weight penalty. I wanted the best glass and light transmission they had available. That 6HD has excellent glass and light transmission with a 52mm objective and 34mm tube, and I just wasn't willing to step down in those categories. If it just seems like too **** much scope, I may check out the NX8 next for sure.

Man, I strongly considered it for sure! But after too **** much research I decided on the ATACR and to take the weight penalty. I wanted the best glass and light transmission they had available. That 6HD has excellent glass and light transmission with a 52mm objective and 34mm tube, and I just wasn't willing to step down in those categories. If it just seems like too **** much scope, I may check out the NX8 next for sure.
Leupold has the best low light glass IMO. NF is middle of the road.

And that was my concern as far as going with the NX8. I'm hoping that slightly larger objective of the ATACR will sway the scale and even them out. But I really won't know until I've got them side by side. I just knew that was one thing I didn't want to waiver on... low light capabilities.

And that was my concern as far as going with the NX8. I'm hoping that slightly larger objective of the ATACR will sway the scale and even them out. But I really won't know until I've got them side by side. I just knew that was one thing I didn't want to waiver on... low light capabilities.
Light transmission is acheived by lens coatings not objective size. Objective size will give you a larger exit pupil at higher magnification and is often confused with light transmission. For example the exit pupil on the atacr at 35x is 1.6mm compared to the NX8s 1.56 at 32x. 56mm objective on atacr and 50mm on nx8. Very little if any difference.

Also 34mm tubes don't have larger internal lenses. The 34mm tube is for elevation and windage adjustment. Larger tube more adjustment range.

Light transmission is acheived by lens coatings not objective size. Objective size will give you a larger exit pupil at higher magnification and is often confused with light transmission. For example the exit pupil on the atacr at 35x is 1.6mm compared to the NX8s 1.56. 56mm objective on atacr and 50mm on nx8.

Also 34mm tubes don't have larger internal lenses. The 34mm tube is for elevation and windage adjustment. Larger tube more adjustment range.
Excellent info! I was aware of the exit pupil size and am more comparing apples to apples at a given and equal magnification, instead of just the max magnification. But I also thought the larger tube transmitted more light, as well as had more internal adjustment. My mistake on that one for sure! Thanks for your time in clarifying some things for me!!

I've been using a Leupold VX6-HD 4-24X52 for the last year. It's been a great scope and has never let me down. Literally had no reason for the change up other than curiosity. I really wanted to compare their two top tier optics to each other.

I decided on the ATACR over the NX8 after a ton of research. Obviously the extra 10oz was the big hang up. But I feel, If I'm going to see what nightforce is all about, I should really go with their best scope with no compromises other than the weight. But with the weight comes a better overall package also. Super curious to throw this on my gun and see how it compares to the leupold and if the extra 11oz (over the leupold) is a game changer or not.

I hunt A LOT and pack my rifle around A LOT. The ATACR would bring my gun up to 9lb11oz. But the added weight will of course manage the recoil just

I hunt A LOT and pack my rifle around A LOT. The ATACR would bring my gun up to 9lb11oz. But the added weight will of course manage the recoil just that much better and I would assume, bring with it even more rigidity. Which is also a big deal with a rifle that is constantly strapped to a pack or throw over a shoulder for miles upon miles, and honestly somewhat abused.

I'm really looking forward to comparing the two scopes!! Also, I just love to mess with gear and stuff, so that's always fun haha. It'll be going on this Hells Canyon Armory "Carbon Killer" in 28 nosler. I shoot steel at 1000+ very often and this is furthest kill, at 630 yards.View attachment 240089
That's a hell of a Buck. What state was that in? Awesome job

The VX-6HD is noticeably better than the NSX glass but I think it's a toss up against the ATACR and would come down to ones eyes or preference.
The width of the ATACR windage & parallax turrets prevents a couple of my hard cases from closing. I have never had a Leupold fail to track but had a bad spring in the parallax adjustment( made a loud pinging noise when turned) but I would give the ATACR the edge in reliability at the cost of added weight. You already know it weighs more so you can't be disappointed, I think you will like it for the extra elevation....and it's your 1st of the legendary Nightforce ! They do have a great reputation.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.