Switching from lefty to righty

B

BLeeber

I have been shooting on and off since 1986. I didn't know anyone who shot or hunted growing up so I taught myself. Starting at the age of 18, I shot in the Everglades of S. Florida where you could drive in, set up and shoot against a berm and no one would find you. My first rifle was a Remington 7400 auto in .30-06.

I've since then bought a few single shots, lever actions and AR rifles...mainly because of the lack of selection for left hand bolt guns. Well, I'd like to buy my first bolt. But I am considering buying a right hand action and learning to switch from LH to RH.

I am taking a Practical Rifle shooting class in Central FL in October that has us shooting out to 600 yards. However, they want us to bring a bolt action or certain lever actions. Would this be a good time to learn how to shoot right handed, use the class to begin fresh as a righty? I wouldn't want to buy a RH bolt and then find that I cannot shoot it RH. I know people who shoot a RH bolt action left handed, but I'd rather have a LH bolt if I were going to shoot that way. (by the way...I am right eye dominant, if that matters shooting through a scope)

Okay, trick question...which brands should I look at? I am hearing a lot of good things about Savage. Any others I should look at? Stay away from?

Thank you for any suggestions!!

I'm a natural lefty that had to learn to shoot right handed in the service. It takes a little time and practice like anything else, but it is doable. Since you're right eyed dominant you should be shooting right handed to begin with. It makes things so much easier. As for rifles don't overlook CZ. They make a fine product at a good price. I've had nothing but great luck with mine. JMHO

I am natural lefty too, carried a LH Savage .264 Win Mag for 30 yrs, then swapped it off inb a weak moment. Now I have many LH and RH rifles and shoot them equally bad. Good luck.

If you are right eye dominant by all means learn to shoot right handed. I'm sure that you have to close your right eye in order to shoot a LH rifle, either that or "cross over" the stock with your neck and head to align your right eye behind the scope. Either method is not conducive to consistent shooting. If you close your right eye you are most likely also squinting your left eye somewhat which will change the shape of the eye lens and blur your focus.

As to your other question, Savage does indeed have a reputation for out of the box accuracy, as does the Tikka T3. I would stay away from the new bargain priced Savage, can't remember the name of it right now but it is replacing the Stevens 200. Remingtons generally shoot very well as do many other brands. Spending more of your budget on the scope than the rifle will probably produce a more accurate precise rig. Best of luck and welcome to LRH!

Sam

Thanks for the posts gentlemen. I feel better about switching now. I think also that I have taught myself bad habits over the years being self taught early on. This will enable me to start fresh and learn the correct hold with something new as opposed to correcting a bad behavior on my left side.

You're doing the right thing, and in the long run you'll be a much better shooter because of it. I had to do the same thing you are. I waisted alot of time before I made the switch.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.