Switching from bipod to tripod. Thoughts from tripod users

shawnb

Hey all, after using a bipod, atlas, for years im finding myself always taking it hunting and never using it. 99% of my hunting never offers a prone shot, or at least my bipod is not tall enough for surrounding grass, etc.

so i sold my bipod and accessories and looking at the area419 4.25" arca plate. Along with that i was going to buy a tripod that lets you shoot prone to standing, or at least kneeling. My second thought was to purchase a second tripod like the leofoto ls223 with lh25 head. It will support the rifle weight and be a second option in the field that could get me prone to a max height of 14.25" to the clamp. So another little bit higher for the rifle.

Im set on purchasing a tall tripod but have any of you used a second such tripod?

Last edited:
Are you talking about using a 2 tripod shooting setup? If so I have done that for my kids before when hunting from a blind, one tripod under the front and another for rear support.
Since then we had switched to a single tripod with a shooting bag on it, and thats my preferred method for tripod shooting now.
Here are a couple pics of my son shooting with 2 tripods, and his 2 tripod blind setup from last year, VSour single tripod setup he used this season.

Attachments

• IMG_4365.JPG
    IMG_4365.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_4361.JPG
    IMG_4361.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_5626.JPG
    IMG_5626.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
No, sorry if i was confusing. only using one tripod. But having 2 options, tall and short.
if you get a decent size tripod without a center post you should be able to get from real low to pretty high.
are you planning on putting your arca plate on forward like where your bipod would mount? because
if you don't have rear support its better to have the tripod under the center of the gun

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts