switching from berger hybrids to vlds

jlvandersnick

I'll start by saying, I usually use Berger Hunting VLD's as I use my guns mostly for hunting.
I will be doing load development on a new 7.5 twist, 6mmXC . Want to use the Berger 105 HVLD's. I have a bunch of them.

Acknowledging that the VLD can be sensitive to seating depth, and in an effort for quicker load development, why shouldn't I:
  1. start with a box of the 105 hybrids
  2. once I'm close...use same load and switch over the the VLD seating depth test
  3. and then fine tune
Those of you with experience....do the two aforementioned bullets respond the same to a specific load?
Thanks

I find hybrids just as finicky as VLDs when it comes to seating depth. In fact I find all projectiles require some seating depth preference based on what a barrel likes for accuracy.
Is the range of the seating preference on the hybrids less? On VLD's I have some that like as much as .080 and others as little as .010

In my experience the hybrids are much less sensitive to seating depth. I have the most experience with the 6.5/270/7mm EOL's but these have been very accommodating to varied seating depths. As an example, the 156 EOL will shoot well in 6.5 CM from a 700 SA seated to magazine length. Similar experiences from 270 and 7mm WSM.

The VLD and Hybrid have different bc and different configurations. Can't see them being similar in loading.

I do have experience with target vs hunting VLD's of the same bullet weight. They shot the same even at longer range
A friend and I were talking about this day before yesterday and he loaded some up at the same seating depth as his velds and they shot to the same spot at 200 yards didn't try any farther but looked good at that distance so I wouldn't be afraid to give it a try nothing gained if you don't try David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.