Switching a factory barrel

bearhtr2

Here is a loaded question and interested to what answers I get. I currently have an older Remington 700, 270 win(1980s) that has a factory 22in barrel. Gun shoots 1.5 moa with reloads. Nothing great. Same for factory. I have another factory barrel available that is 24in and stainless fluted. Local Gunsmith will switch out for me fairly cheap. He does good work as he has done several other guns for me that shoot sub 1/2 moa. Just curious about switching one factory barrel for another????? Crap shoot? Thoughts????

If you or your smith has a borescope, give it a good inspection for any obvious problems, prior to buying a pig in a poke. Who made the barrel?

I've seen that kind of work done to a couple rifles and most of the times it improves accuracy. The trick is because most of the times they blueprint everithing and pay good attention to detail. Things that don't happen on mass produced pieces.

I have had factory barrels shoot just fine. I typically can't leave them on because I want the barrel to my specs and for a specific application. If you have the smith do blueprinting and such it will shoot but it will cost you a bit.

It is another factory spec barrel from Remington. The one I have on bench has about 40 rounds down it. The other one a few hundred and I have ran through enough different powder and bullets to buy another gun. Problem is I just hate to sell it as I know the quality of it exceeds what i would get today. So I at least have a good platform to start a new build if needed. This gun will not be a long range weapon. Just a general purpose woods-truck gun for deer and coyote.
Everything would get squared up and lapped and blueprinted and ready should I put a aftermarket barrel on.

If it's cheap enough, and the barrel had no problems prior to being removed, then why not do it?
I have used one take off barrel, a CZ USA barrel in 505Gibbs, amazing how well that big bore barrel shot with it's 8 lands & grooves.

I'd do it if I was confident in the swap.

Cheers.
:)

Thanks for all the information guys. Very much appreciated. I think I will proceed and replace one factory barrel with another one and while at it square and true everything. I will let you know how it turns out. I plan to drop it off tomorrow.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.