Switched from FL Sizing to Neck Sizing for 280AI

MSLRHunter

After only FL sizing since I started reloading, I have finally tried neck sizing. I noticed that when FL sizing my 280AI brass in a Redding type S FL die I was unable to bump the shoulder, however my brass still chambered fine. So I thought, maybe I don't need to bump the shoulder and decided to try neck sizing only. I got a Redding neck die, put the bushing in, but I also ordered the carbide expander button. IMO, the carbide expander button is a nice upgrade to the neck die. It is allowed to float on the stem so theoretically it won't bend necks. Anyway, I have noticed that after 2 firings my brass still chambers fine. How many firings can I expect before I need to run them through a body die or FL die?

Probably 3-4 firings max in a 280 AI. I assume you are using AI velocities.

It can happen that a die is too long and about .0015-,020 has to be cut off the bottom of the die to enable the shoulder bump. I have seen it a couple of times.

Probably 3-4 firings max in a 280 AI. I assume you are using AI velocities.

I would agree with the above from my experience.

Been through the FL vs. neck sizing with the 280AI and have found the best for me is to just bump the shoulder back .001-.002 on every resizing. I found it is the best of both worlds and it sure improved consistancy in acccuracy.

The best purchase I ever made was a set of shell holders from Redding that allow you to do this with ease. I even bought a Innovative Tech. tool that allows me to measure shoulder bump and it verifies that the redding shell holder set is flat nuts on.

So - bottom line is I don't ever FL resize or neck size but I guess you would call it a partial FL resize every time.

Depending on your chamber and load pressures, you might not ever need to FL size.
But even with improved shoulders(to 40deg), you'll eventually need to bump a bit.

You can have a bushing bump die made based on your fired brass from JLC Precision, at a very reasonable cost(about the same as a type S).

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.