Switch barrels systems. Good or Bad?

I have 2 WTO switch lug set ups on Remington 700 actions. I had the smith set them up so I can swap barrels between the two different actions with no issue, depending on my purpose whether I want hunting stock or target stock. Right now 5 barrels in 5 calibers standard and magnum and they all are within .5 moa after a switch. I haven't had any issues with the WTO Switch lug.

Switch barrel rifles are great if their system is well designed and repeats consistently. Everything on the rifle stays the same, just the barrel and if necessary the bolt and magazine change. All of your accessories, optics, trigger, fit and feel are maintained. Nothing new to learn. I love my DT SRS for all of the above reasons. In my opinion Desert Tech's barrel change system is the best as it clamps on and supports the most barrel surface. It allows more barrel length with less whip and over all length. It is far from a traditional rifle, but it has 99% of the features I want, and does exactly what I want it to do.

That being said, it isn't everyone's ideal. Still, if you can find a QC system that meets your needs, it will be worth doing!

For many years this has been treated as a somewhat mystic topic. I guess businesses want to sell you stuff…. It's not rocket science. Any GOOD 'smith can do this for any action without barrel nuts or other drama.

As an alternative I use the American Rifle Company Barloc on my rifles, I primarily use Savage prefit barrels and can easily change one at the kitchen table with nothing more than my torque limiter and a witness mark. Done it several times to switch my one rifle between two 6.5 PRC barrels, a smokeless muzzleloader and a .300 Win Mag.
What is the benefit of the Barloc nut over say a nut with wrench flats? I have a savage that I will be using as a switch barrel and was planning to use the crown ridge nut that I currently have but interested to know if using this would be beneficial. Thanks for any insight.

What is the benefit of the Barloc nut over say a nut with wrench flats? I have a savage that I will be using as a switch barrel and was planning to use the crown ridge nut that I currently have but interested to know if using this would be beneficial. Thanks for any insight.
The Barloc is not a nut. It's more like an expandable clamp that becomes wider when tightened with an Allen wrench.

All these clamping lug systems solve a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion. Any shouldered barreled rifle can be turned into a switch barrel by having another barrel gunsmithed OR by buying a prefit on those actions where tolerances and barrel timing are accommodated for prefit.

It makes zero sense to me.

The biggest advantage for me is not needing a barrel vice or having to removing the rifle from the stock to switch the barrel. I simply screw the barrel into the correct headspace, hand tighten the barrel nut down to the collar and then torque the screw in the collar to tension the system.

All these clamping lug systems solve a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion. Any shouldered barreled rifle can be turned into a switch barrel by having another barrel gunsmithed OR by buying a prefit on those actions where tolerances and barrel timing are accommodated for prefit.

It makes zero sense to me.
I can get Proof Savage Prefits for just under $700, the only way to get a shouldered CF Prefit for my ARC actions costs around $1100.

I've got 2 traditional switch barrel rifles (from benchrest days) and 3 WTO switch barrel guns. All work great and are repeatable. Only real difference is ease of switching barrels.
The WTO doesn't require a barrel vise and action wrench to change barrels.
My smith did both types. If the smith is competent he should be able to do it.
My WTO switchlugs are on R700 actions (2) and one is on a Tikka. About to have another installed on a R700 Mag action. I highly recommend them!

I have one WTO barred action with the switchlug and a remage setup…..I like the idea of both styles but I have not personally changed a barrel on either sense they were built. If I had money for other barrels I'd change them from one caliber to another but for now I have no need. Sometime I'll actually put the switch barrels to use.

That's interesting to hear about the repeatability of the wto switchlug, I don't think I had ever heard anyone mention just how repeatable the wto setup is.

I have one WTO barred action with the switchlug and a remage setup…..I like the idea of both styles but I have not personally changed a barrel on either sense they were built. If I had money for other barrels I'd change them from one caliber to another but for now I have no need. Sometime I'll actually put the switch barrels to use.

That's interesting to hear about the repeatability of the wto switchlug, I don't think I had ever heard anyone mention just how repeatable the wto setup is.
.50 too .00