Switch barrels systems. Good or Bad?

Acaravetta

Has anyone had experience with the WTO switch lug?

My acion was going to be sent to a shop to get the lug holes drilled for it but they said they wouldn't touch it.

I am wondering if there is something wrong with this particular system or if they are just against all quick switch systems.

Any help is appreciated

Dok7mm,

Curious, did you have the multiple barrel setup for one action done at same time? Was this done with their action or one you supplied?

Were you able to have them make more barrels later? If you had it done later did it require you send the receiver for headspacing? Or did they have the specs for that particular action on file?

Yup I think it would come down to being able to buy prefits without having to send the action back to the smith. If you can do that then it would be an excellent option for a switch barrel. I have switch barrel rifles that I can just buy shouldered prefit barrels for and screw on. It's a nice option. More less expensive custom actions can do this now too. It's nice to be able to clamp the barrel down with the WTO and make it like a Terminus Zeus style.

If a shop wouldn't do it then I would find another shop as it's not a difficult part to install so they either can't do it which means they aren't proficient or won't do it and that means they want to have you have to send the action to them each time which isn't very comforting in that they want you stuck with them.

Dok7mm,

Curious, did you have the multiple barrel setup for one action done at same time? Was this done with their action or one you supplied?

Were you able to have them make more barrels later? If you had it done later did it require you send the receiver for headspacing? Or did they have the specs for that particular action on file?
I actually have a 6mm DASHER MPA(Master Piece Arms) rifle that came with the WTO Switch Lug, it has a Curtis AXIOM action. I had MPA chamber a 6XC-II and a 6.5 Creedmoor at a later date and also had Straight Jackey Armory chamber a barrel as well for the rifle. Both companies just needed the serial number of the action to chamber the barrels.

Dok7mm,

I had several barrels fitted for each of my actions to begin with. When I added a new barrel, I had to send the action to WTO to headspace. Originally I was told that once the action was mapped, it wouldn't be needed to add barrels, but that didn't work out.

As an alternative I use the American Rifle Company Barloc on my rifles, I primarily use Savage prefit barrels and can easily change one at the kitchen table with nothing more than my torque limiter and a witness mark. Done it several times to switch my one rifle between two 6.5 PRC barrels, a smokeless muzzleloader and a .300 Win Mag.

I actually have a 6mm DASHER MPA(Master Piece Arms) rifle that came with the WTO Switch Lug, it has a Curtis AXIOM action. I had MPA chamber a 6XC-II and a 6.5 Creedmoor at a later date and also had Straight Jackey Armory chamber a barrel as well for the rifle. Both companies just needed the serial number of the action to chamber the barrels.
X2 works great same everything very pleased

I had several barrels fitted for each of my actions to begin with. When I added a new barrel, I had to send the action to WTO to headspace. Originally I was told that once the action was mapped, it wouldn't be needed to add barrels, but that didn't work out.
It should have if your smith was a good machinists unless you had set back on your bolt lugs

Absolutely luv switch barrel actions, TRG, Accuracy International, Tubb ATR rifle systems are absolutely great, Run anywhere from a 6br to a 33xc, all precision barrels, even an old long action Savage worked great having a bench rifle to a hunting rig . Other than that I don't have an opinion.