Switch Barrel Rem Model 700

Gonzolas

Dear Sirs, Hoping someone here can help out. I own a Rem 700 bdl it has a brown precision stock on it and I would like to be able to interchange barrels on this. The scope is a leupold 3.5 - 10 mark 4. I have 6 different barrels for this particular action. I cannot really afford to 6 complete rifles built up like this. So I was wondering if anyone know if this can be done and still be accurate.I dont really want to have to mess around with a barrel vise and headspace guages.I want to be able to take a barrell off and then put it back on and be able to adjust the scope setting to that particular barrel. Am I dreaming?
Any help would be appreciated.

Aside for going to the expence of someone (such as HS Precision) make a take down rifle on your 700, you won't be able to get away from a barrel vice and action wrench. There are several different jigs that will align the recoil lug but if you just have one pinned in, misalignment won't be an issue. Now on to the barrels, each barrel will have to be fitted to the action individualy. That will insure propper headspace for each. Once that is done all you will have to do is to switch barrels and or bolts, if you switch case sizes as well.
Barrel vices can be made fairly in expensively and the action wrench will cost around $45. But over all it is a very feasible idea, infact I plan on doing something similar with a couple of 700s that I have.

Gonzolas
A recoil lug pinned to the action is your best and least expensive way to go. Depending on which action wrench you buy the scope might be able to stay on the action as well as the action in the stock. The smith should be able to headspace each barrel for the same lug. All you'd have to do is unscrew one barrel and screw in another. If you intend on switching between mag and 06 case head sizes the only thing different would be that the smith rechambers and headspaces mag bolt with mag chamber, and the same for 06 size chambers and bolt. It's realy not as complicated as it might seem. The lug will still be removable and the pins only function is to keep it propperly aligned, otherwise the lug might stick out to the side instead of down.
I think pinning the lug to the action and rechambering each barrel for the same setup will be the best way to go, not to mention the easiest.

I have had this work done. As TXhunter stated, have the recoil lug pinned and the rest is a piece of cake (as long as you have the vise and wrench). You don't have to worry about pinning lugs together,etc. Just have index marks put on the action and barrel and align the index marks. I have never had a problem with this.

I HIGHLY reccommend Howard Dietz in New Braunfels, TX. He has built many of these. He is an advertiser in The Varmint Hunter and can also be found in the Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy book. His number is 830-885-4662.

Jim

I dont mind spending money on gunsmithing fees to be able to get what I want. I want to keep the same stock as well. I have thought about getting the recoil lug welded to the receiver, Then getting correct the correct headspace for each barrel and then installing a recoil lug on each barrel. Then pinning the two lugs together. To remove barrell knock out pins from recoil lugs and unscrew. I do not want to have to remove the scope. If anyone has any other ideas or know of someone who can do this that would be great. Added problem is that I live in Canada.

Hi,
Now if you take the shoulder off of the barrel, and put a nut on it so you can ensure that the headspace is correct every time, welcome to the club.
You now have a Savage.
It takes about 20 minutes to change calibers.

This is "tongue in cheek", sort of.

Good Shooting.
C'ya. John.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.