Switch barrel ELR caliber selection

Coercionist

After a good bit of research I have decided that for what I want, a 20-25ish pound rifle with the capability to shoot at ranges from 1000 yards to 2 miles and also bag an elk at 1000 yards, a switch barrel rifle would suit my wants best given that any one caliber can not efficiently fill every need that a prospective shooter can have. Also, this would also me to swap out burned-out barrels and try new calibers quickly and without having to send the rifle to a smith. As for the rifle build, I was thinking a McMillan A5 Supermag build around a pierce 10x action (with both .585 and .640 boldfaces) but its the chamberings that I am undecided on. Initially Id want two calibers: one to be used out to 2000 yards and hunting, and then another for shots past 2000 yards. For the first chambering a fast 338 peaks my interest because of the vast bullet offerings, The 33xc makes a compelling offer given its standard load of a 300 grain Berger at about 3150 fps from a 30" barrel, however recently I stumbled upon the sad story of the 338 raptor which is the parent case for the xc. Long story short, it seems that Mr. Kirby Allen the developer of the raptor is using xc brass to fire-form to the raptor since it seems the xc is just the raptor with the shoulder/neck junction pushed down for a longer neck. Before the Peterson brass to fire-room from, the raptor load looks to be similar velocity as the current xc loadings however, now that Mr. Allen is fire-forming this stronger brass I wonder what sort of case capacity/velocity gains he is making. For my second chambering, I want as heavy a bullet as possible pushed around 3000 fps; for this I am thinking to draw up some sort of a 408 cheytac improved. it seems to me that since cutting edge now has .408 cal bullets out then there's no reason to immediately shy away from that caliber anymore. The 425 Lazer and the 420 mtac both look like great options bc wise and according to a case length of 3.03 and a mag constraint of 4.625 (cadex mags) they both can be mag fed, the same can not be said of the similar bc 400gr .375 class pills.

What do you guys think of the Raptor vs XC
How about an improved 408 with the new bullets?

I'd go for the XC just to keep it simple. The bigger 338s might get you more velocity, but the sweet spot still seems to be about 3200 fps with a 300gr bullet. I had a pair of 338/408 improved rifles and they were both most accurate between 3170 and 3250 fps.

It might be worth looking at a 416 instead of going 408. It seems like there's more movement in the 416 direction, which might offer more bullet and barrel options right now.

33XC Will get the job done very well at 2 miles. More so then the Cheytacs we had. No need for a 416 if 2 miles is the goal. Guys we shoot with regularly hit 2-2.5 miles with the 33xc and we all sold our 375ct and 416 rifles. The 300 Bergers do very well in the XC. 416 is just whole other animal and unless your shooting 3 miles (heavier pills for increased splash/spotting) we found that the 33xc with 300gr bergers gets it done. 2 miles is pretty much a no brainer with the 33xc. We are all shooting Accuracy International rifles (obviously not a hunting gun but fits your weight requirement) and use 300 Norma Mag for our 2000 yard targets. 300 Norma still gets it done at our 2640 target also. We shoot at Rebel Ridge in KS.

33XC Will get the job done very well at 2 miles. More so then the Cheytacs we had. No need for a 416 if 2 miles is the goal. Guys we shoot with regularly hit 2-2.5 miles with the 33xc and we all sold our 375ct and 416 rifles. The 300 Bergers do very well in the XC. 416 is just whole other animal and unless your shooting 3 miles (heavier pills for increased splash/spotting) we found that the 33xc with 300gr bergers gets it done. 2 miles is pretty much a no brainer with the 33xc. We are all shooting Accuracy International rifles (obviously not a hunting gun but fits your weight requirement) and use 300 Norma Mag for our 2000 yard targets. 300 Norma still gets it done at our 2640 target also. We shoot at Rebel Ridge in KS.
What kind of velocity are you getting with your XC, and with what barrel length? If you don't mind me asking. Ive seen that 3150 fps is about the norm, but I think the XC would really shine if the bullet manufacturers would finally come out with the 330gr class bullets that were rumored before covid killed everything. Currently the 285gr Flatline would most likely have the best external ballistics but i haven't heard of anyone using it in the XC, just the 256gr.

What kind of velocity are you getting with your XC, and with what barrel length? If you don't mind me asking. Ive seen that 3150 fps is about the norm, but I think the XC would really shine if the bullet manufacturers would finally come out with the 330gr class bullets that were rumored before covid killed everything. Currently the 285gr Flatline would most likely have the best external ballistics but i haven't heard of anyone using it in the XC, just the 256gr.
3220 with 125gr H50BMG in a 31" barrel. TBAC 338 ultra SR suppressor also.

Last edited: