Swiss k31

mpwmont

Curious if anyone else here shoots one at long range. Have a few, they all shoot great. If anyone else does id love to see your setups. Not planning to hunt with them, just having fun shooting.

I shot a friends using surplus. 700 yard "stop sign" target with "surplus" rounds.

Now I have one, brass, bullets and dies.

Just need to put together some loads and give it a go.

Due to range availability I shoot mine mostly at short ranges. At 330 yards it prints 6" groups with an old sidemounted Nikon (half inch horizontal offset), Swiss surplus ammo and a crosseyed, all thumps shooter.

I don't usually have access to really long range shooting places to fool around with my old war horses. I got to do some shooting a while back at an old strip mine with some buddies. We shot our black powder cartridge rifles and some of our old military rifles. I took my most accurate K31 Swiss with loads consisting of Graf/Prvi case, Fed 210M primer, 45 grs IMR 4064, Nosler custom comp 155 gr bullet, OAL 2.880 and I used a Lee Factory Crimp Die with a medium crimp on this load. It was just plinking around shooting but with open sights I had no problem once I got my sight setting hitting a big rock with a painted 36" circle in the circle at 996 yards prone with a sling. This same rifle and load will keep 20 shots in a 1" X ring at 100 yards from a bench rest with open sights. A group of friends and I started what we call Old Men's military target matches. We shoot off a bench rest at 100 yards with rifles and 50 yards with carbines because most can't get down into those positions any more. We shoot two targets of 10 shot strings for score with stock unaltered rifles except for front sight height to lower the point of impact that most of these rifles need. It is fun and bragging rights are the prize. :D

Sounds fun. I have a spot to shoot at gongs from 700 to 1100yds. Have the Swiss products clamp on scope mount. Scoped it shoots 1 inch at a 100. Been shooting 165's but want to try heavier.

I have fooled with making the old war horses really shoot well. The two things that has helped most increase accuracy has been the use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die and deburring the inside of the case flash hole. Most of the old military rifles have a throat that is a mile long and if you need to run rounds through the magazine the bullets have to jump a long ways. With the K31s they have very short throats but the use of the Lee crimp die makes my loads shoot tighter groups. I can't explain it but the proof is in the pudding so to speak. Some of the fellows that started coming to our old men's military matches were bench rest shooters and were the "know it all" type, if you catch my drift. In discussions about the use of the Lee Factory Crimp Die they poo-pooed it and would say things like "you are just ruining a match bullet and it will not shoot accurate". I never told them that I was using the Lee die but I kept cleaning their plow and walking away with many of the tops scores. I believe that the crimp allows the pressure to build to a certain point before allowing the bullet to move out of the case just like a bullet loaded close to the lands hits the lands and is retarded for a nano second and pressure builds before it leaves the case. The deburred flash hole allows the primer to ignite the powder in a uniform manner instead of being scattered by the burrs sticking up hear and there. Just some observations from an old man that according to some does not know what he is talking about. LOL :D PS Don't mess with old men, they did not get old by being stupid.

I use the LFC dies for all my handguns and auto rifles. Never tried it for bolt guns. I appreciate the tips. Tomorrow it's the no 4 mk1's turn at the gongs.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.