Swift suroccos in gel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. stx

stx Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

Haven’t shot anything at long range with the ELDM....just one at around 300 yds and the rest all under 150 +/- yds....no problem with expansion with shoulder shots on any of these animals. I might stretch the distance this next season to see if results are the same......my VLD loads are devastating at all distances in every rifle I load them for! The only reason I even used the ELDMs is because I had a bunch left over from the Long Range Course I took at the NRA Whittington Center......just wanted to see how they performed on game and was pleased with the results.

2. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

My results weren't bad at point blank ranges either, though I did notice the animals (mostly pronghorn) did not drop in their tracks even with perfect high heart/double lung shots like they did with the Bergers. They generally ran 75-150 yards before slowing down and tipping over, even with what seemed like great performance, 2"-2.5" exits, lungs pouring out. Same shot with bergers on many, many other previously killed critters anchored them like it was a CNS hit, even if it wasn't. At distances over 700ish yards (with a muzzle velocity of 3040 and at 6600+ elevation) they were inconsistent as far as expansion and strait penetration on two animals. On a large bodied mule deer at a shade over 500 yards shot in the ribs (no heavy bone) it expanded nicely, but didn't exit. The bullets looked good and mushroomed, but I believe they simply didn't deliver the amount of shock and wound channel size of the Bergers. And as stated, the pronghorn buck at 980, they acted like a FMJ. Just my experience with 13 critters from 150 to 980 yards with critters being pronghorn to bull elk with the 147 eld-m, and 30+ kills with Bergers under essentially identicle usage. Also, I never have had a Berger 140 H-VLD fail to have an exit wound, even a 6 point bull at 700, though most animals killed were pronghorn with a few mule deer and elk sprinkled in.

3. stx

Good to know.....you’ve definitely taken more animals and have more experience with them than I do.....they won’t be replacing my VLD handloads....these are factory loads I bought directly from Hornady(300 rounds) because I didn’t have time to load for the last minute decision to attend the NRA course. I wanted to try them because they were so accurate in the CM I used for the course(.25” groups)...... velocity was excellent, as well(2830).

4. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

Ya, for your uses inside 400 yds or so they should work fine, I would just be careful about velocities getting around 2100 fps or so. At least that is where I started seeing concerning issues. The closer range hits all killed the animals pretty quick, just not quite as good as Bergers.

stx likes this.
  5. Tony Formicola

Tony Formicola Active Member

Yeah...those bullets sure tend to act funny when they hit a humorous!

6. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Someone had to! Haha

slv hunter likes this.
  7. stx

When these are gone, I'll more than likely be done with ELDMs! I have many good VLD loads and have changed several of my rifles over to Hammers.....tried them on a few animals this past season and really like the ease of finding a load, as well as, the performance on game!

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  8. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

Haha good catch-edited to make it more clear.

Good data from Cody Adams! Just goes to show gel data does not always translate to actual terminal data!

I quickly found inside 400 yards there is no real need for me to run a match bullet hunting-I found the accubond and Barnes to perform much more predictably. Especially on taking angle shots and thick bone.

I would like to try the 140 Bergers I just got turned off due to others in camp using them with extensive meat loss up close with the 140’s in creedmoor velocities - I have a SAUM so I can only predict they will be even worse with that cartridge. I’ve ran the 30 cal’s 190 & 215 on game with decent results - but no personal data with the 6.5 flavor.

Last edited: May 2, 2019