Swift suroccos in gel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

I seen you did it with a scapula, i believe a humerus bone would really be an eye opener for most people. I've had the matchbullets punch through a scapula no problem, but the humerus was a much different story.

Last edited: May 2, 2019
  2. Golovkin

Golovkin Well-Known Member

Can you elaborate on this comment? I'm not sure if you mean this particular bullet/velocity or all bullets and velocities?

From my own experience and research, I've been led to believe that bone strikes alter the shape of most bullets designed to deform.

3. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

We did it with bergers and eldm and x bullets then shot just gel20% and had same results

slv hunter and stx like this.
  4. fmsniper

We train clients to shoot high shoulder that’s why we used it

North Idaho Hunter and stx like this.
  5. fmsniper

We are going to start using a second block to catch them

RockyMtnMT likes this.
  6. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I've shot quite a few bullets through the lower elk shoulders, in 6.5 the Berger 140 had blown through every one and wrecked the vitals from 200 to 900 yards, only bullet I've shot that was 100% on that shot for one shot kills. The only other bullet I feel confident in doing a good job is the Hammer though I have not shot a 6.5 through an elk yet they have the characteristics of a bullet that will get through. If a bullet can't reduce it's frontal diameter it won't do well on the heaviest hits on an elk until you get to the 338 or larger cals.

stx and RockyMtnMT like this.
  7. Golovkin

Golovkin Well-Known Member

Do you think there is anyway a berger would "blowup" on a 50 yard shot if it was moving around 3,300fps?

8. fmsniper

We shot them at 3140 100 yards we will try them at 30 to help you sir.

9. fmsniper

Tomorrow is 1000 yard testing with 300 win Berger 215 hybrid we will put a second block behind it. So stand by

10. stx

stx Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I’ve shot many VLDs at under 100 yards at 3200-3380 in 264 WM and 26 Nosler with no problems....instant kills and exit holes in most......mostly shoulder shots....deer & hogs!

bigngreen and slv hunter like this.
  11. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

bigngreen,
    good to know about the bergers. with 140 & 147 eldM's at creedmoor velocities we have not been able to have them penetrate past the thick humorous bones on deer and elk.

I did not post to try and create animosity - I just don't want to see members have the problems we have had with match bullets on close & less then ideal shot angles.

sounds like the bergers are the go to for short range vs. the ELD M when match bullets are being used.

bigngreen likes this.
  12. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I'll say each bullet in a line I feel needs to be tested and used on it's own merit in a cup and core design even bonded, the monos are much more consistent across an entire line.
    I've never caught a 140 Berger in a deer even centering up on both shoulder at 3200 ish starting range. I have caught them in elk but all on the of side. The 140 Berger is one I'll push in my rifles but I keep the throat in good shape so I don't trash jackets.

stx likes this.
  13. stx

stx Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I tested 140 ELDMs last season on several deer and hogs at ranges from 75-300 yds at 2830fps in my 6.5 CM with excellent results......of the 5 animals shot, 2 had exit holes.....all shot through the shoulder and all DRT! They seem to perform about the same as VLDs in my experience.

14. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

In my testing with the eld-m 147, the animals reaction to impact was much less devastating, with animals running further with identicle impacts, even with massive trauma to the animal they took longer to expire than Bergers. And had two shots that went between the ribs on a pronghorn at 980 yards that neither expanded at all, with bullet diameter impacts and exits. And had another that changed direction dramatically, and a shot that should have exited about 4-5 inches behind the shoulder on a cow elk at a touch over 700 yards ended up in the flank near the hip, and only damaged the rear of one lung. She ran well over a mile.

Frog4aday likes this.