Swift suroccos in gel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I think a 590 fps bb impact would result in a very sick elk.

2. yorke-1

yorke-1 Well-Known Member

This matches up with what I've seen from the Scirocco bullets. To me, Swift has always built very tough hunting bullets designed for moderate velocity impacts on heavy animals at moderate range. Their A-Frame is a great bullet but doesn't open up as fast as a Partition does and the Scirocco doesn't open up like an Accubond.

3. catamountsierra

catamountsierra Well-Known Member

The 590fps BB is used to check the properties of the specific gelatin, mostly the density of it. It acts as a standard, replicable test that provides the same projectile at the same velocity and same energy applied to each block that is tested. Variations in the BBs penetration can therefore be used to compare the results of different projectiles fired into different blocks. A bullet will behave differently as it passes through the gelatin because it is a significantly larger mass moving significantly faster (or at least in any tests relevant to the performance of hunting bullets) and because the gelatin actually behaves differently in regards to the faster bullet. Ballistic gelatin tests are designed to provide a means of comparing different bullets in a medium that behaves similar to that of internal organs.

Hearties and RockyMtnMT like this.
  4. North Idaho Hunter

North Idaho Hunter Well-Known Member

Being a long range forum - I see the videos being very helpful. Sure has open my eyes to some bullets!

However,

It would be nice to see the match bullets shot through a thick 2+ inch bone, then into gel block to simulate that unexpected close shot on an elk where the perfect broadside shot doesn’t present itself.

Most guys on here don’t shoot animals at 1600 FPS, Lots if shorter range shots. So it would be nice to see a worst case scenario to see if these thin jacketed match bullets will hold up.

Golovkin likes this.
  5. Golovkin

Golovkin Well-Known Member

Irrelevant without knowing fps.

6. catamountsierra

catamountsierra Well-Known Member

Well, the one they dug out of my lip when I was in high school likely had an initial velocity around 400fps (late 80s Crossman 760) and had traveled close to 50 yards; it still had enough power to shatter a tooth, though it did end up lodged in my lower lip.

7. Golovkin

There is a reason so many bullets stop under the offside hide.

Exempting hair and hide in this experiment is a serious flaw as there is no feasible way to shoot a heart or lung without first hitting hair and hide which is a completely different medium than gel.

8. Golovkin

Too bad you didn't have an elk hide facemask...

slv hunter likes this.
  9. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Having built test rigs just to test bullets that allowed me to use hides and shoulder bones while catching all frag, it's a waste of time doing much more than gel. The gel really matches well with a lot of shots and the media is repeatable and level across the playing field from bullet to bullet which gives us some comparative data to pull some info from.
    There is a reason gel is used to get relevant info for ballistics labs!!

10. Golovkin

There is also a reason bare balistic gel is only 1 of 5 tests that the FBI labs use to determine penetration. They use 4 other tests, (light clothing over gel, heavy clothing over gel, car door over gel, gypsum over gel, and windshield over gel.

I get that gel offers consitant testing for comparing bullets, but if you know your bullet will always strike 1" of fur and 1/4" of hide - include it in your test. If not, don't conclude that a 6.5 scirocco will pencil through an animal at 600yds based on a gel you can poke your finger through.

Try poking your finger into an elk, or tearing chunks off of one with your bare hands, they are radically different mediums!

11. codyadams

codyadams Well-Known Member

If you take the time to watch the many other video's they have made, you would see that they did start the tests out using a deer hide wrapped around the block and a scapula about 1"-2" inside the gel block. In testing the same bullet and impact speed with and without hide and bone, the resulting gel wound channel was no different in size or shape, only made more mess and took longer to clean up to produce another gel block for testing.

Perhaps consider taking their information objectively and watch more of their videos prior to criticizing their hard work. Just saying.

12. Golovkin

Now bones don't matter.

13. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

They don't matter to my bullets. Performance is the same bone or not. Proven on live animals, which are entirely different than a dead hide over a gel block with a bone in it. Just sayin.

bigngreen likes this.
  14. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Well let's narrow this down, hair don't matter cause I can poke my finger right to skin, warm fat don't matter cause I can poke my finger in it, lung don't matter cause I can poke my finger through it, what else can I poke my finger through liver that can't expand a bullet either! Only hide and bone can expand a bullet cause I can't poke my finger through seems to be the track some are chasing here. Water most definitely won't open a bullet cause I can poke my finger and even my arm right into it!!
    Odd how many bullets I've caught expanded in water, must be a fluke, that gel sure seems to expand bullets well based on design and impact velocity.