Swift suroccos in gel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Did the deer die quickly or travel a long ways? Where was the shot placement?

2. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

What I found disheartening is they didn’t even open at 1900 ft./s retained velocity that was a little surprising. Also remember of these are bullets that I would not specifically use for long range these are bullets that you guys are asking us to test and we do appreciate that so thanks

Frog4aday likes this.
  3. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

High above the back of lungs liver area dropped in his tracks, had to hit some spine internally. He did flop around like a spine shot so I put another one in him through heart and lungs same distance. Both wound channels looked the same from outside, I did gutless so never looked inside.

4. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Ok. So pretty hard to say what kind of damage was done.

We shot quite a few elk and a few deer with that bullet from 6.5-06 at 3100 fps with excellent results. Nothing over 450y though.

5. Plinker147

Plinker147 Well-Known Member

Can't say for sure but looking at entrance and exit, it was likely expansion was minimal.

fmsniper likes this.
  6. Dry Heat?

Dry Heat? Well-Known Member

The original Sciroccos shot PATTERNS out of my Win Model 70 in 7mm RM that shot Nosler, Barnes and Hornady Bullets Around 1/2 MOA, no matter what Powder combinations I tried. Then Swift came out with this Scirocco II Bullet but I had already wasted enough propellant on the first crappy version so I never tried them. I don’t feel I’m missing anything by doing so. I’ll never buy another Swift Bullet.

7. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

Gents we dont use these it was a viewer who sent them to is to try
    We are hard core believers in Berger and Hornady

Hearties, slv hunter and stx like this.
  8. Golovkin

Golovkin Well-Known Member

This is Jello - The bullet would have performed completely different on an animal.

9. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Yeah I doubt that a medium to large game animal would have been DRT like that gel block was.:D

Couldn’t resist...

HARPERC and RockyMtnMT like this.
  10. Golovkin

Teeth are harder than bullets, but they can go right through regular jello, but after you add all the other ingredients, (hair, hide and bone) - they would perform way different!

11. catamountsierra

catamountsierra Well-Known Member

Then why does wound channel I tend to see in the gelatin block tests seem so similar to what I see in a deer's or elk's heart and lungs after I shoot it? It may not be perfect, but it seems pretty representative. If you are worried about bone effects, put a big cow bone or such in the gelatin and see what happens then.

12. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

If a bullet won't open on jello your SOL if you shoot one between the slats !!

13. Golovkin

Not necessarily, a .17 caliber steel bb at 590 FPS penetrates 4.1" in clear ballistic gel.

That same BB would bounce of a deer or elk.

14. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Well I've had a BB dug out of my person, penetrated better than we though it would through a sweet shirt and tee shirt.