Swift suroccos in gel

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by fmsniper, Apr 23, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. fmsniper

fmsniper Well-Known Member

Barbourcreek longrange hunting school testing swift suroccos out to 600 yards in 20 % gel in a 6.5 crm.

Hearties, FEENIX and the hunter like this.
  2. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

That a good example of taking good data and making an incorrect conclusion.

The reason they didn't get the kind of performance they wanted at 600 yards could be attributed to the cartridge as much as to the bullet.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  3. slv hunter

slv hunter Well-Known Member

Love it. Keep it coming
    Thanks again

FEENIX likes this.
  4. fmsniper

Nope retained velocity of 1600 fps should have caused them to open at that range. It was 1900 fps plenty for cup and core. Not sure the bonding process used could have been part of the situation. eld m and Bergers performance was great at those ranges in the same cartridge

slv hunter likes this.
  5. entoptics

entoptics Well-Known Member

The tests these guys do aren't particularly scientific, but it's good information to have.

In fact, I'd make a case that this video is "a good example of taking marginal data, and making a reasonable conclusion"

They estimated the impact velocities, which provides two velocity points (1900 and 2350) to bracket what range the bullet will likely stop expanding. You can plug any load into a ballistics calculator, and get the specific distances for "good expansion" and "no expansion"

For example...
    6.5 PRC at ~3000 fps, somewhere between about 450 (2350 fps impact) and 750 yds (1950 fps impact), the Swift probably won't expand.

6.5 Grendel at ~2350 fps, somewhere between the muzzle and about 300 yds, the Swift probably won't expand.

CO_Guy, 257Tony and FEENIX like this.
  6. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

I don't get the fondness of exploding bullets. Maybe on small Texas whitetail or antelope but not on muleys, elk or bear.

Elk Hunter 338 and Boman like this.
  7. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I haven't seen any exploding bullets in any of these videos? I shoot mostly elk and so far I've seen a lot of data that seems to match up with what I pull out of dead elk.

8. CVCOBRA1

CVCOBRA1 Well-Known Member

All I see is two inches of penetration and then total fragmentation. That six hundred had total penetration, the three hundred not. I guess I like exit wounds.

memtb likes this.
  9. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

I like actually recovering game I shoot, narrow wound channels just are no where near as lethal, I want dead in sight of where they take the hit, not half hour later miles away.

Wolf76, HARPERC, slv hunter and 4 others like this.
  10. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

They concluded that it was a good hunting bullet for 3-400 yards and a poor hunting bullet at 600 yards based on velocity. The velocity was determined by the cartridge.

Put that bullet in a 26 Nosler or something comparable and the velocity at 600 yards will be the same as it was at 300 in their test.

HARPERC and Ndfarmer like this.
  11. entoptics

entoptics Well-Known Member

The 300 yd shot was a complete pass through also. Watch the slow mo and look at the track in the gel. I'm not particularly familiar with the Scirocco, but from my understanding, they don't "explode".

As someone with 3200 posts on a long range forum, surely you can interpolate results? Do you expect them to start with 6.5 grendel and test, 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, 6.5-06, 6.5 PRC, 264 WM, etc?

I'll grant you they didn't explicitly say "not pleased in 6.5 Creedmoor" but informed people would interpolate the results for different muzzle velocities, and uninformed people watching the video are far more likely to have a 6.5 CM than a 26 Nosler...

slv hunter, djm670, Bravo 4 and 2 others like this.
  12. fmsniper

The objective of Our testing is to show bullet performance regardless of caliber based on retained velocity of 1600 ft./s when shooting at sea level based on lead core and copper jacketed bullets retained velocity will differ based on the cartridge and your elevation these are only designed to show a bullet performance again based on retained velocity of 1600 ft./s faster when the bullet strikes the gel or animal

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    slv hunter, twister, CO_Guy and 4 others like this.
  13. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Ditto!

14. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Amen to that!