Swift Scirocco projectiles

george

IAN M I READ YOUR POST ON THE SWIFT SCIROCCO 7MM PROJECTILES, COULD YOU GIVE ANY INFORMATION ON THE 7-08 & 7 REM MAG LOADS DEVELOPED FOR THE TESTING OF THE PROJECTILES. I STARTED WORKING WITH BOTH & HAVE NOT YET DEVELOPED LOADS YET. YOUR HELP IS APPRECIATED.

Info sent offline. I like Varget a lot. Like some of you guys, would put it on cornflakes in the morning if I had it to spare.

I bought Varget specifically for my new 7-08. For whatever reason, it hates the stuff. Top producers were H4895 & H4350 with a slight speed advantage for the H4350.
While the 150gr Sciroccos shot well enough, the Barnes 140 XBT actually beat out every other bullet while shooting under .5" consistently @ 100yds.
I have always been disappointed in X bullet accuracy. However, this particular rifle made me realize that 1 in 50 rifles can actually shoot these bullets.
smile.gif
grin.gif

That many?
rolleyes.gif
I've never found Varget to be the best for anything yet it usually runs a good race for bullet/cartridge combos that it is suited for. The Scirroccos...be it a twist issue or not, in my experience they like speed. All you can give them... Not a bullet for 'mild' loads at all.

Ian,

Your Varget answer kind of surprised me. I've never really thought about using it for anything larger than .224.

It's one of the most common powders used by a lot of my friends, We use it to push little 25 grain .172 caliber bullets out of short barrels at a little over 4,000 FPS to kill a lot of coyotes.

If I can't get 2 years out of a pound of Varget any longer, I'm telling the wife it's your fault.
grin.gif

FWIW, Varget is also awesome in the .308 Winchester. 175gr SMK/ 45.0gr Varget = ~2750fps from a 26" factory pipe, and great accuracy. There might be better powders out there for my .308, but ****, I'd have a hard time believing it. Seems to shoot almost everything I put in the gun great, excepting the bullets that it (the gun) just plain doesn't like at all (light stubby ones).

YMMV,

Monte

We have several .308 rifles that are shot a lot and they all shoot Varget. Not sure if there is another powder that will work in the .308, all I ever use is Varget!>?

I have to agree.. VARGET is the $h!t.. 46.0 grs in my .308 and I shot 15 rounds into .680 at 100 yards.. I did this with 168 SMK's and 168 Nosler J4's
I used Varget in the 243 and shot darn near 1 hole for 3 shots and a groups size of .356 for 5 shots...
Varget seems to love anything with a case capacity of 50 grns or less...

The best thing about this powder is that it basically cannot tell you what the temp outside is.. I shoot the same load all year round.....!!!!

I have to agree, VARGET is absolutely the ****!!
It works so very well in such a wide range of calibers!
I mean if I have a 5.56X45, a 6X51, a 7.62X51, all I need to do is go out and buy an 8 pounder of VARGET and Im good for a couple weeks!
wink.gif

[ 10-07-2002: Message edited by: Lostsheep ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts