SWIFT SCIROCCO 100 YD TEST

Ian M

I just shot a set of test loads using Varget, Winchester brass and primers and the 150 and 165 grain Swift Sciroccos. Using a highly accurized Rem. M-700 and a Nightforce 5.5-15 scope I managed sub 1/2 minute groups with each bullet. 42 grains of Varget shot 0.457" for five @ 100 yards with the 165's, 44 grains Varget/165's shot 0.470" and 43 grains Varget and the 150 Scirocco shot two groups that went into 0.440" - 0.454". O.L. was 2.81 for both bullets. I did not use my chronograph will do that another day. I did get pressure signs at 45 grains with each bullet.

Thought someone might find this interesting. I weighed 200 of the 150 grain Sciroccos and the extreme variation between the heaviest and the lightest was exactly 1.0 grain. This is the best consistency that I have had with Sciroccos since they came out.
ian

Excellent results with this bullet that I consider to be a good compromise between the stoutest bullets and those with more rapid expansion like the BT's and Matchkings. It has a very good BC in its .284 counterpart.

Len,
Shot again today - have now got four sub 1/2 miute groups with the 165's and 44/Varget. Best group so far went 0.490" for five shots at 100 yds with four shots just under 0.3".

Needless to say this is going to be my caribou load in a couple of weeks. Will chronograph it and let you know how they are moving. O.L. is 2.81" for this rifle.

Ian--please tell us your results if you take a "bou". On a post a while back a guy used a 180 out of a 300 wby on a deer at very close range. He was shocked because he didn't get a pass through. It seems the bullet held together just great but because of the high impact speed it got a really huge mushroom and it was enough to stop it just under the hide on the other side. I would think it will be an excellent choice out of your gun for a bou!

I have been fortunate to do quite a lot of testing of the Scirocco (including a batch of wild hogs in the initial tests in Texas) and the bullet has consistently exceeded the objective of 70% weight retention, more like 80% as a matter of fact.

I hope to further the testing on caribou next week near an Eskimo community called Puvirnituk in northeastern Quebec.

That deer kill was shot with a .300 Weatherby at about 50 yds - amazing performance.

Another bullet that is very interesting is the new 168 grain Barnes match-grade hunting bullet - solid copper, nice high BC. We are getting good long range accuracy and hope to shoot something with it also.

For anyone interested here are the drops for the 165 gr. Scirocco pushed by 44 gr. Varget in Win. cases, Win. primer. Shot from a 22 inch barreled rifle, not sure of the velocity yet.

165 Grain Scirocco Load Ballistics

Distance Drop In Inches Drop MOA
100 yds 0 0
200 yds -3.75" 1.75 MOA
300 yds -15.0" 5.0 MOA
400 yds -35.0" 8.75 MOA
500 yds -58.0" 11.5 MOA
600 yds -91.5" 15.25 MOA
700 yds -133.0" 19.0 MOA

Accuracy remains excellent with sub MOA groups out to 700 yds, some 3-shot groups exceeded 0.5 MOA.

Ian,

Thanks for posting the data.

I have chosen the 165 Scirocco for my deer/hog/black bear bullet in my 30-06. This 30-06 was built by John Ricks, and is my "lightweight" rifle at just under 9 lbs with the mounted scope. It has a 26" Pac-Nor 3-groove barrel in #4 contour, a Lone Wolf stock (pillar bedded), and a Leupold 3.5x10x40 AO scope in Burris signature mounts on cross-slot style bases (I can't remember who made the bases--Leupold I think). The chamber is a touch on the tight side, but all brands of brass will chamber in it. The throat is cut parallel. I had John throat it for the 165 Scirocco, which is a fairly long bullet.

I should get it back from him next week. I hope the 165 Scirocco shoots in this gun--I have no reason to believe it won't.

Blaine

Just back from a caribou hunt in the Arctic, (place called Puvirnituck) shot two very large bulls with the .308 Win. and 165 Sciroccos. First bull was bedded at 470 yards, wind was steady at 10-11 mph (Kestral wind guage), I had a nice rest by using the bottom sticks of my Underwoods on the huge rock we crawled to. I put on 10 MOA of elevation and 4 MOA of right wind and tried to center the chest - couldn't see it all because he was bedded in rocks. I didn't hold low enough and the shot went JUST over his back, windage estimate was good tho. He got up and walked straight away for, I waited until he stopped near a bit of vegetation that I had lasered at 504 yards and held on his upper chest (knkew that I needed a bit of elevation as my drop was 11.5 MOA @ 500) - guide said he was hit in the chest at the shot. He walked slowly away again, turned and I held slightly higher, shot broke his back. Distance from caribou to the firing position was 510 according to my Bushnell 1000. He was a very big bull, almost white in color.

Second bull was also an exceptionally good one for the area, he was slightly under 50 yards, you take them when you have the chance - he was just too nice to pass on.

Both bullets exited on the 500 yard shots, excellent internal damage including shattering the spine, exit holes about 1.5 - 2 inches - expansion was immediate from the size of the hole in the rib impact area. The 50 yard shot was into the lungs, above and just back of the heart. Ribs were cut, dramatic expansion, lungs destroyed, exit about 2 inches.

I am pleased with this performance, will have some photos scanned and send them to this forum.

We hunted with Arctic Adventures - I would recommend them to anyone who wants a truly unique hunt, great trophies. Absolutely a great time with the Inuit guides, very nice facilities, fishing for Char, lakers and brook trout was incredible, unique wilderness as there is simply no trees, just rocks, moss, muskeg and water. Pricey but worth it if you really want to experience the far north. Saw up to 20 bulls per day, had excellent opportunities on a lot of good ones.
ian

A bit more info on Scirrocos
Handloads, 300 RUM 180 gr Scirocos
3340 fps at 12 ft from muzzle.
Under 1/2 MOA at 100 yds from a custom Rem 700 Sendero weight Walther SS 27 1/2" barrel

Elk hunt:
One shot running bull, 250 yds.
around 80% bullet weight retention.
Bullet entered just behind the front shoulder bones, shattered ribs and damaged lung and heart with bone fragments.
pased thru chest and stopped just under the skin on ther opossite shoulder.
Elk dropped and skidded to a halt dead.

Same load, another rifle and hunter.
375 yds. chest shot. bullet exited on far side of ribs.
FYI these where reports I have gotten from a couple customers that I have built the rifles for, cronographed their loads and made mil-dot hold over charts out to 700 yds for them.
They both feel that this is THE bullet for long range hunting.
Tests on the hold overs where made at the range out to 600 yds and results where right on the money.

AFP:
My new shop is almost done, the new lathe arrived this week and the mill will this commming week.
Hopefully the ATF will be expiedient on the licensing.
I will never again smith for "peanuts" and with anyone being the "boss" again.
especially after being head smith for an owner that was really an insurance salesman. LOL

Celt

[email protected]
H.D. Rifles

OK, Guys,
It sounds like you have a handle on these things. Now, can any of you give me the BC's of the .308 cal bullets in 180, 165, 150 grain? It's the info that I can't seem to find.

C'ya. Jeep.

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.