Swift bullets

I've personally taken about a dozen bull moose and half dozen black bear with the 180 gr Swift AFrame bullet in 300 Win Mag, 300 RUM and 7.82 Warbird

from 15 yards to 650 yards, all were 1 shot kills, recovered most of the slugs on the offside against the hide, had a couple make it all the way through, every single bullet expanded into the classic double mushroom the Swift AFrame bullet is famous for

the AFrame is the best jacketed lead big game bullet you can get for typical hunting scenarios out to 600 yards, maybe a bit more in some cartridges and capable hands ,

the Swift AFrame bullet provides that peace of mind that it will expand reliably and plow deep into the vitals and beyond even when smashing into heavy shoulder bones if the animal moves after the trigger is pulled

I test all kinds of bullets on Alaskan big game, BUT during those hunts I always have the rifle loaded with Swift Aframe bullets as bear defense/backup ammo and run the tester bullets single shot for the test on game

People I regard as serious Elk hunters absolutely swear by. Swift Scirrocco II's. They have a very thick jacket of soft copper and a very soft lead core. I can see why, when shot at high velocity the results would be electric on Elk. They aren't quite as accurate in my WSM as the Hornady ELDX and that is why I prefer that bullet for long range hunting puprposes. I have 500 Swift SII's 180 grain bullets if you would be interested ina lifetime supply of hunting bullets.

Wildcat Westerner

They have been awesome in two 300 RUM's I have. I have had exits on every deer and elk shot with them that I remember. Wound channels have been good, not to explosive with 300 RUM on deer. I wish they would make a 200 grain scirocco II.

People I regard as serious Elk hunters absolutely swear by. Swift Scirrocco II's. They have a very thick jacket of soft copper and a very soft lead core. I can see why, when shot at high velocity the results would be electric on Elk. They aren't quite as accurate in my WSM as the Hornady ELDX and that is why I prefer that bullet for long range hunting puprposes. I have 500 Swift SII's 180 grain bullets if you would be interested ina lifetime supply of hunting bullets.

Wildcat Westerner
What would be your pricing?

The A-frames are a very good bullet.

Shot quite a few .308, 180 Scirroco's into media and game. Expand at range, and hold together well at the muzzle.

I was generally disappointed in the penetration, the large frontal area needs a little more weight behind it in my experience. A 200-220 would be more to my liking.

I shoot the 130 gr Sirocco 2 in my 6.5 Creedmoor for caribou.
As others have stated, it is a Great bullet. Not too much blood shock but always an exit and the bou's just tip over. I haven't been able to keep a 450 gr 458 or 400 gr 416 A Frame inside a brown bear to have a bullet to show off . But, the bears never took another step.
I consider the 250 gr A Frame that Remington loaded in their Premium line , in 338 RUM to be the best load for Alaskan game there was for that cartridge. An absolutely awesome bullet and load.

Wildcat Westerner

+1 on the comment about the thick cladding. I think when dialed in, this design is less prone to concentricity issues, much like a monolithic and it makes them tough. I too have yet to dial them in with my WSMs but I think it will be just an exercise in dialing in charge weight and seating depth. I usually load to max OAL and check to see if I'm off the lands but in this case, I'm going to let them jump.
As to your question of cost, I usually like to see if I can get them about $55 per 100, but MidwayUSA has them here for $65:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/5...180-grain-bonded-spitzer-boat-tail-box-of-100

I'm just starting load development for the 175gr 7mm A-frames out of a 28 Nosler, for an African hunt in April, and expect good things based on the comments here. I was thinking of starting them at a 0.050" jump. Any feedback on seating the A-frames would be appreciated.

I'm asking if any members can voice some opinions on Swift bullets as far as a hunting bullet, what is your experience with them, likes and dislikes ext. I personally have never shot one, and am not looking at them as punching paper round, strictly hunting elk/deer. I mainly shoot Nosler, and Hornady bullets, and they have never let me down. Unfortunately I am in a tinkering state of mind as was considering trying them out of pure curiosity. No I am not a fan of Barnes or Berger bullets, do they shoot well yes, but personal experience with them not overly impressed when it comes to hunting. Some guys love them I dont. I was considering loading 30 cal 180gr swifts. Just wanted personal opinions on Swift. Thanks for your time and insight.
I have a Ruger 1 in 375 H&H I use Hogden 414 and a 270-G Swift soft point and it grouped about 6 inches at 500-yards. I thought I would be lucky do that at 300. I use the rifle for my short range rifle and have a 200-yard zero on it. I have shoot about a dozen Elk with it over the years and I think it's the one of the best Elk rifles you could have and when you hit one you know it !!!! . I have read a lot of articles on how you don't need large calibers for Elk and that's just bad information. Anything past 500-yards I break out my 300 Savage and the Night Force is with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.