Swift Big Eyes

PrimeTime

As a new guy in the world of LRH, I finally bought a set of big eyes. I got them from Randy Phillips out of Langhorne, Pennsylvania. They are made with Swift 60mm tubes and have Swift 22 wide angle eye pieces. The 22x's have eye cups which make for very pleasant viewing. The image is perfectly clear and the field of view is impressive to say the least. His bracket is vey nice as well. This unit is actually quite compact and easy to use in the field. These big eyes are the best investment I have made to date.

Sam

Are you sure those are the 60mm objectives.

Jerry was putting some 50mm Swifts together too. They looked small at the range last match but I didn't look at the marker on the scope.

The Swift eyepiece is the same as the Bushnell 22x wide angle and they are interchangable.

Just wondering because they looked very small. Maybe it was the thin housings of the scope?

Later
DC

hello Darryl,
They are definetly 60mm, I actually measured the tubes and it is also confirmed on the label. They do appear smaller than the SpaceMaster, mainly due to the more compact bodies. Jerry actually had a set of Spacemasters there and I compared the 2 sets side by side. Both were nice but the Swift's just seem a bit clearer to my eyes. They did cost me more though, around $900 total.
See you next weekend in the 9th relay.

oops, after reading my original post, I realize I said Randy when it is actually Jerry Phillips.

All,
At the IBS Nationals this weekend, Jerry Phillips had just put together a brand new pair of Swift Nighthawk 80s in a big eye configuration. I'm a big fan of Kowa and the old "long tube" B&L glass for LR veiwing, with the SpaceMaster being very good for thier price range, but Jerry ask me to check out these new Swifts to see what I thought. Bottom line is I think that is the best glass I've personally viewed.

I would look through the Swifts and then go down the line and looks at Bushnells, Kowa, B&L, Swarovski's, looking at the same targets and it was much easier for me to see the bulets holes and resolution with the Swift's.

Jerry had them setup down on the high end of the firing line and I was seeing bullet holes and calling group sizes for benches 12 -> 15 with very good accuracy if the shots were in the white. (I've never seen or heard of anyone that ever saw a bullet hole in the black (or blue) at 1000yds that I know of.) I called Ray Sweets target of 5 shots in the 8 ring at about 7" group. When Ray got his taget back it was a 40 score all in the 8 ring with a 6.5" group. Ray Sweet bought that set of bigeyes on the spot from Jerry.

So Sam, if those 60s are anything like the new 80s I looked at you have a good set of glass.

Has anyone ever dealt with Swift before for service work or anything? Just curious for future reference.

have to get back to work on the results and newsletter for the match. Got a long ways to go.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.