SWFA SS scopes

Muleystalker.

How is the 5x20 at the highest setting in clarity? I have heard that the cheaper scopes lose a lot of clarity at its highest setting rendering them useless. Also how is the washout effect at its highest settings?

Thanks

Brian

The Super Sniper 5x20 HD is what I believe the clearest scope for the $ on 20 power, at least mine is.:)

The Super Sniper 5x20 HD is what I believe the clearest scope for the $ on 20 power, at least mine is.:)

Thanks for that quick answer. I probably shouldn't of said CHEAP as its a 1500.00 lol.

I just read some reviews and watched the video and I think this might be the one I end up with.

I have so much to learn with this LONG range stuff I feel like an infant here. I want to make the right purchase so I can learn to do what you guys do. Sight in at 100 yards then see a target at 653 yards do whatever it is you do and turn the turrets for all that stuff you take into account and still be able to use your center crosshair place it right on the trigger and BONG!

I am gaining a little knowledge and as I always say (that's very dangerous)!!

I will be placing this on my Sendero SF II 7mm Rem Mag and want to be able to go out to 6 to 800 yards if possible. I am a hunter first and formost and a shooter second. I guess that is because I live in Freakin NJ and the longest range I have here that I know of is 300 big ones.

I just wish it had Zero Stop so I can get back to zero after all the dialing of turrets. I don't want to have to remember my zero as I will more than likely forget.

Thanks

Brian

Muleystalker.

How is the 5x20 at the highest setting in clarity? I have heard that the cheaper scopes lose a lot of clarity at its highest setting rendering them useless. Also how is the washout effect at its highest settings?

Thanks

Brian
Brian, don't kid yourself, these are by no means cheap scopes and by that I don't mean price i mean quality. This is very high quality glass, the scopes are made in Japan not in China or Taiwain. I have numerous Leupold, nikon,burris,and such scopes and none of them are the quality glass that my 2 Swfa's are. Now the leupolds I have aren't MK 6's or MK 4's, but i have used several MK 4s and i think the glass on the Swfa is clearer and was told by several other people looking through both the same thing.
The 5x20x50 HD is very clear at high power, my friend has a Nightforce, i believe the shv in the same power range and to us and 3 different people at looking through them side buy side thought the swfa was clearer. i also have the Swfa 3-15x40, witch is not an HDscope as is the 5-20x50. i ode red 2 vortex viper 4-16x44 lrh for a friend and my cousin and the sofa 3-15 was much better glass than the vortex, at high end of the power range you could really tell the difference. and they are built way more sturdy and robust. so that being said the 3-15x40 sofa is a great scope with very very good glass, ftp, and great turrets and build quality, and the swfa 5-20x50 HD is evan better glass than the 3-15x40, a very noticeable difference. that being said I have shot all day with the 3-15 , and out to and beyond 1000' and never felt like i was being short changed on glass or make me wish I had my other scope . IMHO they are the best glass, repeatability, and durability you can get in a scope unless you at least double the money you are putting out then add in the fact that they're FFP and it's very hard to beat them.

Last edited:
the 5x20x50 HD is very clear at high power, my friend has a Nightforce, i believe the shv in the same power range and to us and 3 different people at looking through them side buy side thought the swfa was clearer. i also have the Swfa 3-15x40, witch is not an HDscope as is the 5-20x50. i ode red 2 vortex viper 4-16x44 lrh for a friend and my cousin and the sofa 3-15 was much better glass than the vortex, at high end of the power range you could really tell the difference. and they are built way more sturdy and robust. so that being said the 3-15x40 sofa is a great scope with very very good glass, ftp, and great turrets and build quality, and the swfa 5-20x50 HD is evan better glass than the 3-15x40, a very noticeable difference. that being said I have shot all day with the 3-15 , and out to and beyond 1000' and never felt like i was being short changed on glass or make me wish I had my other scope . IMHO they are the best glass, repeatability, and durability you can get in a scope unless you at least double the money you are putting out then add in the fact that they're FFP and it's very hard to beat them.

Thanks Muley.. Hey someone one here was stating that there is a sale on these a few times a year. Do you know if this is true or not. I see them for 1500 and was wondering if they can be had for a bit less.

Thanks for all your info.

Thanks

Brian

Thanks for that quick answer. I probably shouldn't of said CHEAP as its a 1500.00 lol.

I just read some reviews and watched the video and I think this might be the one I end up with.

I have so much to learn with this LONG range stuff I feel like an infant here. I want to make the right purchase so I can learn to do what you guys do. Sight in at 100 yards then see a target at 653 yards do whatever it is you do and turn the turrets for all that stuff you take into account and still be able to use your center crosshair place it right on the trigger and BONG!

I am gaining a little knowledge and as I always say (that's very dangerous)!!

I will be placing this on my Sendero SF II 7mm Rem Mag and want to be able to go out to 6 to 800 yards if possible. I am a hunter first and formost and a shooter second. I guess that is because I live in Freakin NJ and the longest range I have here that I know of is 300 big ones.

I just wish it had Zero Stop so I can get back to zero after all the dialing of turrets. I don't want to have to remember my zero as I will more than likely forget.

Thanks

Brian

On that rifle and at those ranges either the 3-15x40 or the 5-20x50 HD would work for you, the 5-20 HD having the better glass, but my 3-15 glass never makes me feel like I'm handicapped as I said. If you look on sniper hide there is a guy who makes zero stop shims for the sofa 3-15 for like 20.00 and they have been approved by SWFA to not void the warranty. They do not approve them on the 5-20 as the turret nobs are different, although i know several people using them on their 5-20 and have had no problem.I'm sure you would be happy with either scope,I know its hard to purchase a non name brand for that much money but they have been around for quit awhile, i went through the sme dilemma you and many other people have gone through trying to decide,it took me 8 months to pull the trigger but very glad I did. and the Tax day sale and Blk friday sale is hard to beat, good luk and hope this helps you.

On that rifle and at those ranges either the 3-15x40 or the 5-20x50 HD would work for you, the 5-20 HD having the better glass, but my 3-15 glass never makes me feel like I'm handicapped as I said. If you look on sniper hide there is a guy who makes zero stop shims for the sofa 3-15 for like 20.00 and they have been approved by SWFA to not void the warranty. They do not approve them on the 5-20 as the turret nobs are different, although i know several people using them on their 5-20 and have had no problem.I'm sure you would be happy with either scope,I know its hard to purchase a non name brand for that much money but they have been around for quit awhile, i went through the sme dilemma you and many other people have gone through trying to decide,it took me 8 months to pull the trigger but very glad I did. and the Tax day sale and Blk friday sale is hard to beat, good luk and hope this helps you.

I made a zero stop for my 3-15x42 and I'll tell you how. I used a rubber outside water hose washer (.119" thick) and a .062" thick aluminum thin-walled washer. My scope returns to my zero perfectly. I got lucky on that account. I had both parts at home so the cost was $0.

Muley. So they DO HAVE SALES. On black friday and Tax day? So by tax day I am assuming that is April15? Hope that is true.

yes you have helped me out a lot. Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Brian

I made a zero stop for my 3-15x42 and I'll tell you how. I used a rubber outside water hose washer (.119" thick) and a .062" thick aluminum thin-walled washer. My scope returns to my zero perfectly. I got lucky on that account. I had both parts at home so the cost was $0.

I think I am going to just learn how to work this scope properly Instead of changing anything. I have seen some videos on how some people do it but I am going to learn how use this equipment first before I do anything. Heck this will take me awhile anyways. Never had a scope like this before. Its going to be an education for sure.

Brian

Muley. So they DO HAVE SALES. On black friday and Tax day? So by tax day I am assuming that is April15? Hope that is true.

yes you have helped me out a lot. Thanks.

Much appreciated.

Brian

Yes but they don't advertise it, you just have to check the website and the you will see the listed sale the day it starts, you might call to see what day it starts,they may tell you. I know the black friday sale was I think 3 days, the tax day sale I can't remember if it was more than one day or not. I know the time I called they said that was the only time they ran a sale on those scopes.Im glad my post was helpful, I know I probably sound like I work for SWFA with all the good I have to say but I just want to help people that may be on the fence or hesitant because I was one of those people. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Yes but they don't advertise it, you just have to check the website and the you will see the listed sale the day it starts, you might call to see what day it starts,they may tell you. I know the black friday sale was I think 3 days, the tax day sale I can't remember if it was more than one day or not. I know the time I called they said that was the only time they ran a sale on those scopes.Im glad my post was helpful, I know I probably sound like I work for SWFA with all the good I have to say but I just want to help people that may be on the fence or hesitant because I was one of those people. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

dont worry you didn't sound like a salesman at all. You sound like someone who really likes a product and is there to help others with concerns (like I did) and help me make a purchase. I am going to call them tomorrow and fi d out when there sale is.

thank you so much for your time and assistance. Its very much appreciated. I am so new I just dont have much of a clue with things like this.

Handguns and I am more in my place. But not a pro.. lol

Brian

I just called SWFA and they stated that the next sale was going to be on BLACK FRIDAY.

Don't know if I believe them or not on this but I will for sure be calling them April 15.

Will see.

Brian

I just check the web site starting a couple days before and click on the scope and see if the sale price comes up. some times you will see an add when you open up the site that shows the sale sometimes it doesn't come up, but when you click on the scope the sale price comes up. Good luck, the sale is usually decent, I want to say it was like 20%or so off the 5-20 x50HD and like 125.00 or so off the 3-14x40.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.