SWFA SS Scope for hunting?

I called a local gun smith to see gow much it cost to have a swfa ss scope mounted on my 30-06 ruger american. I use this gun to hunt deer out to 500 yards and would like to shoot out to 1,200 yards playing around for fun NOT competition. Will the swfa ss scope work for what I wanna do? This gun smith tells me I am wasting my money on this scope. I need to go with a nikon or leupold even said simmons. I have been researching swfa ss scope for a while and saving the money to get it. I just got a leica crf 1200 Now im working on the scope and the gun smith makes me feel like im wasting my money on the scope and the rifle. I know its a hunting rifle so it wont win competitions but i will primarly be hunting with it and i like the swfa ss scope. Will it work as a hunting scope and part time target scope. Gun smith here says no but he is the first and only guy I heard say it.. what do u guys say?
Thanks
Rob

What kind of accuracy are you getting out of that American at yardage? I would say yes on the optics but no on the weapon choice. If you are getting sub MOA groups out of your American than I see no issues. I just havent read about the American being terribly accurate and 500 yard hunting shots and 1000 yard target shots might be asking a lot out of that rifle. Your money though, do what you would like. Worst case you do a rifle upgrade and throw the SS on that!

I called a local gun smith to see gow much it cost to have a swfa ss scope mounted on my 30-06 ruger american. I use this gun to hunt deer out to 500 yards and would like to shoot out to 1,200 yards playing around for fun NOT competition. Will the swfa ss scope work for what I wanna do? This gun smith tells me I am wasting my money on this scope. I need to go with a nikon or leupold even said simmons. I have been researching swfa ss scope for a while and saving the money to get it. I just got a leica crf 1200 Now im working on the scope and the gun smith makes me feel like im wasting my money on the scope and the rifle. I know its a hunting rifle so it wont win competitions but i will primarly be hunting with it and i like the swfa ss scope. Will it work as a hunting scope and part time target scope. Gun smith here says no but he is the first and only guy I heard say it.. what do u guys say?
Thanks
Rob

This thread might help you out with your decision...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f18/swfa-ss-scopes-149109/

well seems to be perfect for what I am doing but I guess the rifle isnt? I yet to shoot it at past 300 bc the after hunting season I returned the nikon so i can buy a swfa ss scope before this hunting season. I dont reload yet but I did try out 8 boxes of ammo amd did a group test. federal power shock 180gr did best at 1/2" group @ 100yards sometimes better. Killed a deer with it at 203 Yards before I got rid of the nikon.

I have to use the ruger american atleast for a while I bought it new. If i was to upgrade rifles in the future what would be the best rifle for what I wanna do? I hope the ruger american works out to 500 hunting but we will have to see this upcoming season. If it dont work out Ill upgrade after deer season. I hope i dont need to spend more money on another rifle but if i need to upgrade what would be a good upgrade? Not looking to build a rifle but a good shooter out of the box?

The swfa as is a better optic choice IMO than the ones the gunsmith offered, I have a 12x SS on my 308 and shoot to 1500+ yard all the time and really like it for hunting. It a very good optics value!!

If you are a fan of the .30 caliber rounds, the .300 WinMag will do all you want it to. If you don't mind toting some weight, the Remington 700 5R Milspec 26" .300WM is a great option.

REM 700 5-R 300WM 26 SS $1,052.00 SHIPS FREE

If you want something a little faster (and lighter recoiling) than the .300WM, but on about an equal playing field, a 7mm RemMag would be a great option. For that, the Remington 700 CDL SF in 7mm RemMag would be an excellent option. It's lighter than the 5R Milspec, but both have a 26" stainless barrel and action w/ a jeweled bolt. The CDL SF has a lighter contour barrel than the Milspec, and a lighter wood stock, so it would make a better hunting rifle, unless you plan on setting up stationary, and using a bi-pod. Then they would both be good options.

Remington 700 CDL SF 7MMMG 26 FLUTED $922.00 SHIPS FREE

The SS scopes are a good buy, especially for the money. I have had more than one and still run a fixed 6x on one of my rifles. You need to specify which model you want. If you said any of the variable models 3-9 and up I would say go for it. Fixed power scopes for a standard hunting rifle can be tricky. It is easy to go too high on the magnification. For targets, I say go with what you please. I have run a fixed 10x on an issued weapon system for many years, not what I would want for my daily hunting rifle where shots may be close. Even for that the 6x can be too much, I wish they made a fixed 4x. All around to 500 is different, just know there are trade offs for whichever way you go with magnification.
Take a look at the variable power weaver tactical that is sold exclusively by Midwayusa.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-mil-dot-reticle-matte
There are others as well.

Added, if your rifle shoots well then shoot the **** out of it.

Last edited:
SWFA 10x MQ is the cats *** and you don't need a gunsmith to mount it. Only thing is short eye relief if you can't handle the 30-06 thump

I bought a 10X SS last year and for the money it's hard to beat. I put it on a Vanguard in 257 B and have no problem killing stuff out to 500 yards with most of the deer around 300-400 yards.

I bought another Vanguard in 6.5 CM and with a 12X SS I was shooting at 800 yards this past Monday and grouping around 5 inches. That's about as far as I can shoot here at my house. If I can find a 1,000 yards I don't think it will be a problem. SWFA makes some higher end scopes that sell for around $1500 but I don't have a clue if they are worth it? That is getting in the range of a NF. But for $300 I haven't found anything out there that will beat one of the fixed 10 or 12X SWFA scopes. I use them for hunting in big open fields. In the woods you need a 3X-9x.

well thanks guys. Im going to stick with the plan on buying the swfa ss scope. The 10x or 6x is what i was planning on getting. I thought 10x for my 30-06 and the 6x for my muzzleloader. There the ones that cost $299.99 for the rear focus. sounds like a scope ill be happy with. cant wait to get it all together.

Im gonna stay with the ruger american for now bc it hasnt failed me yet So no need to upgrade as long as it does the job..

Any strong scope ring recommendations.

Any strong scope ring recommendations.

A set of Burris signature zee rings with inserts is hard to beat.

SWFA%205-25x50%20SS%20HDFPP%202%20of%203_zps5ho6ngc8.jpg

When I have a minute I'm gonna a measure the turret diameters of my SS and see if I can't find some rubber washers to match and make me a po' mans zero stop for them. :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.