Swfa SS 10x42 or Zeiss 3-9x40

Ballfroguy

Hey guys, looking for some input. Hoping to go mule deer hunting in colorado this year but fell on a dilema. I have plenty of other rifles capable/ready for this hunt but I have grown fond of my Rem700 AAC-SD in 308. I would love to take a deer with this rifle and will plan on it. Currently it has a Swfa SS 10x42 on it and I enjoy the scope but I also have a Zeiss Conquest laying around and the group of guys im going day I should change my scope because Zeiss has good hunting qualities for low light and clearity. I agree Zeiss glass is good, may be better than Swfa SS, the Zeiss was on a 45-70 before I realized I dont need such a big scope. Anyways which of these scopes would you opt out for? Thanks

Hey guys, looking for some input. Hoping to go mule deer hunting in colorado this year but fell on a dilema. I have plenty of other rifles capable/ready for this hunt but I have grown fond of my Rem700 AAC-SD in 308. I would love to take a deer with this rifle and will plan on it. Currently it has a Swfa SS 10x42 on it and I enjoy the scope but I also have a Zeiss Conquest laying around and the group of guys im going day I should change my scope because Zeiss has good hunting qualities for low light and clearity. I agree Zeiss glass is good, may be better than Swfa SS, the Zeiss was on a 45-70 before I realized I dont need such a big scope. Anyways which of these scopes would you opt out for? Thanks

Both are excellent scopes. For target, I'd pick the SWFA but for hunting, I'd go with the variable Zeiss.

Good luck.

I agree with Ed. You wouldn't want to blow it because you couldn't dial back the magnifacation. I love those 10 power SWFAs I have one on the way. But it does limit you on close range...

The only thing I can complain about in regards to the swfa 10x42 is when adjusting up/down, right/left it's hard to hear or feel the clicks. Not a big deal if you watch the turret markings, but I like the audible click and feel of the detent.

With that said, I too would prefer the Conquest for hunting.

I tried hunting with a SWFA fixed 16x on an AR15, no bueno. I mounted a Burris MTac variable power on it but I don't hunt mule deer for sure. I do have a .257 Roberts wearing a Zeiss 3x9 that has never failed on Texas Whitetail.

Although you are going Muley hunting in Colorado, and most opportunities will be longer range in open spaces, you might get a close shot in sage brush, or in thicker timber in which case the 10 power SWFA would be difficult at best. If the shot is real close, you might not be able to find the deer in the scope.
I would definitely go with the Zeiss, and hunt with it on the lowest power. You can always dial it up if a longer shot presents itself, but if you jump something, you would want to be able to see as much as possible in your field of view..

You wrote that you have plenty of other rifles ready, do they have scopes? Maybe you have one that would be the best fit for all scenarios? What I mean is this; the 10x will limit you on close shots but has the potential to dial out to extended ranges, the Zeiss would be better for closer shots but not longer ones (unless it has a hold over reticle of sort)...do you have a scope that would function on both closer and longer shots?

The zeiss has the duplex reticle but I can manage some holds knowing the average size on a mule deer body. I guess I could move some scopes around but I wasnt really wanting to do that, I like leaving those rifles in place if I could. Altough I would like every advantage I also want a good challange, im not going to a trophy unit where all advantages are necessary. If I get one I get one if not I wont so be upset, just want the experience. One other thing is I thought maybe I can send my scope to Kenton and have an MOA turret installed to help with the lo ger shots. My SHV is staying on my 300 win mag and my Mark 4 is staying on my 338 win mag, they just belong together lol

Ballfroguy,
I totally understand, my advice stems from the fact that this is a long range hunting forum and people usually come here for advice on such. If you don't plan on shooting out too far than the "mount the Zeiss and zero it 2" high at 100 yards" advice will do anyone for general hunting distances. However not the best advice for maximizing the range capability of your setup. I was just offering an alternative to get the best of everything because when I spend my time and money on an out of state hunt I try to set myself up to have the greatest potential for success. Last year I hunted in two different areas that weren't known for big deer, but seen some true trophies.
Good luck with your hunt.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.