SWFA 16x 42mm MRAD Scope Vs. Millet 4X16 50mm

CaptnC

I have owned Millet scopes for a long time. Got some of the first ones available back in the late 90's...bought the newest version recently. To be honest the originals were decent, but I have really liked the newer version that I think Bushnell is making.

Just received the SWFA this afternoon, a deal I picked up here. I know a little early to be doing a review, but I was able to do a head to head, in hand comparison.

The Millet continues to be very impressive for a scope that recent sold for $175.00 from Midway USA. I want to start dialing up shots and as nice as the Millet is I'm not sure it will be up to task. The two newer version I now have have held perfect zero's so far.

Any way the in hand - head to head;

Clicks;
Millet has big clicks, but a little sloppy with some play in the knob.
SWFA has big clicks but no slop in the knob after

Clarity;
Couldn't tell a difference...at least I couldn't. I sat on the back porch and continued to go back and forth between the two and you could not tell one from the other.

Bulk/Size;
I don't care what they say size matters! I'm not like 99% of the guys here and want the lightest rig I can find. I actually prefer a heavy rifle. The SWFA is so short it is hard to get it back where I really like the scope for eye relief. The front bell hit the front of the EGW base so I had to move it forward. The Millet is longer and a lot heavier, it is a lit scope and a variable scope.

Parallax;
SWFA for sure won this one! A little more time consuming to do, but it is right there. I got out the range finder to test them and the Millet was very inconsistent.

So they go to the range this weekend SWFA on my 264wm and the Millet on the 300wm...we shall see.

I honestly think the SWFA will beat the Millet hands down. The fixed powered scopes are the most reliable scopes you can get. I wouldn't have gotten a 16x though. I think in a fixed power for hunting / long range steel shooting I would do their 10 or 12x anything after that I would switch to a variable.

Well Whisper...it didnt!

To be honest I expected the SWFA to be the easy hand down winner. I even told a long time friend who shoots three gun matches weekly that I felt it would.

The conditions were warm enough to have plenty of heat waves...they were exactly the same...once a cloud came over they were equally clear.

I was at the range for 6.5 hours and the high berms cast a nice shadow on the 600 yard targets...you could not tell a difference in clarity nor sharpness of the view.

I even dialed up some shots at 600yds where I normally use the reticle for hold over. Both were right there...I must say it was a dead heat...no winner!

The Millet of course is variable and is lit but that was not what I wanted to compare. And of course I've have not had the scope for very long. Will it hold up?

The Millet scopes are made by Bushnell so I guess that counts for something...

My friend called me late in the afternoon to check on my comparison because he ran into a deal on a Millet scope at a shoot he was at... $150 for the camo version...I told him my opinion so he grabbed the deal!

As for it be a fixed 16x...I hunt with all my scopes max'ed out have for years...so on those chance encounters up close I just pick which hair I want to hit...lol

Seriously I shot one of my best bucks at 40yds with the scope on my 7mm RM set on 20x...seen a face full of deer but he is hanging on the wall just the same! And it was a snap shot walking through heavy woods...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.