Swelling brass

Makes a ton of sense to me. Hard to believe a rifle could leave a facility like that. Thanks for the info.
My first lathe for some reason would sometimes produce chatter. It is difficult to eliminate the chatter once it starts. Something to do with harmonics and vibration. I definitely learned the hard way and sold my lathe and bought a bigger much heavier machine. Not a guarantee for absence of chatter but it does happen. Two indicators: 1. High pitched squealing during reaming and 2. Longitudinal visible lines on brass after firing in chattered chamber. Does not visibly show in chamber itself.Brass will not rechamber unless full length sized. If chatter starts there are some methods to stop it. Dan Lilja wrote somewhere how to stop it if it does start.

It would be helpful if you could determine if the case shoulders are being pushed back a few thousandths. When a case is initially pushed into a FL die it often causes the shoulders to move FOWARD until the die actually sets them back. Occasionally you hear about a situation where the die just falls short of pushing the shoulder back even when the die is set to firmly contact the shell holder when the ram is in its highest position.

If you determine this to be the case then you can just have the shell holder milled or ground down a few thousandths so that the die can be adjusted a bit lower. I believe that Redding has a set of shell holders which may allow you to do the same thing. Someone else can chime in on that.

YES! Redding has a set of shell holder in 1000's. Don't the experts say "full length resizing plus 0.002"

I have a set of Redding competition shell holder and they work well for my .300 WM.

Redding competition shell holder- actual.JPG

Redding competition shell holder.JPG

Can you share some load data on the 270WSM? A photo of the brass? Is this a load that you worked up in this rifle? My experience with WSM's is they can show high pressure FAST at the web and you will not be able to chamber no matter what you do. Sometimes you can get this "Ring of Honor" even before max loads all depending upon so many factors with your rifle, your loading process etc..

Will the cases go in the chamber without resizing? Without measuring all the different areas of the case you have no data to see where the die is working or not working. Read your reloading manual so you understand where you need to measure. There is so much information about what you need to see in a fired case, a new case, a resized case etc you would have a much better understanding of what you are doing. In reading this post you do not have a basic understanding of what you are doing and that is dangerous. You are setting off an explosion in which your face is in direct alignment with reaction forces involved. You may want to learn alot more before you continue and a reloading manual is the first place you should have turned not the frigging internet.

Will the cases go in the chamber without resizing? Without measuring all the different areas of the case you have no data to see where the die is working or not working. Read your reloading manual so you understand where you need to measure. There is so much information about what you need to see in a fired case, a new case, a resized case etc you would have a much better understanding of what you are doing. In reading this post you do not have a basic understanding of what you are doing and that is dangerous. You are setting off an explosion in which your face is in direct alignment with reaction forces involved. You may want to learn alot more before you continue and a reloading manual is the first place you should have turned not the frigging internet.
I have a reloading book/books. This is not the first caliber I've loaded for. This is however the first that I've had issues with swelling. I resent your attitude , it is in my opinion not in keeping with professionalism decorum which this site is known for.

I have a reloading book/books. This is not the first caliber I've loaded for. This is however the first that I've had issues with swelling. I resent your attitude , it is in my opinion not in keeping with professionalism decorum which this site is known for.
How much web expansion do you have? What is the clearance of your loaded neck with the brass you are using? How much is the case expanding at the shoulder and is it within the recommended length?
List them before and after your resizing process

The first thing I would do is get a headspace comparator. Hornady makes a cheap one. See if and how much you are bumping the shoulder. It's a good tool to have. In a pinch you can use a 40 sw pistol case. As long as it indexes on the shoulder it will work. Also as others have suggested measure the case web. A mic is better but a caliper will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.