Sweet Spot for Browning 7mm A-bolt II BOSS with HSM Berger 169 grain ammo?

ithinkimissed

Had the new to me rifle for a few months, just got a scope put on and was wanting to know if anyone has tried this combination and what their sweet spot was.

I understand it varies from individual gun to gun but wondered where to start. No Bergers on Browning's BOSS sweet spot chart to reference.

Just trying not to burn up too many rounds in the process. Thanks in advance.

Mine is at 6.3, I've stayed at 6-6.3 for everything 162 grains and up. My browsing shoots the berger bullets best when pushed closer to max loads.

howco,

u da man! thanks for the reply. it being over 100 here til wednesday and me not reloading, u just saved me hours and mucho dollars at the range. i'll start off around 6 and see how she eats. u get pretty good groups? thanks again.

I have had excellent groups when I take things slow and don't rush shots down the tube. It gets over a 100 for me too at times. I would tell you to try factory Hornady 162 sst ammo also. If it still gives u issues pm me. I have 20 years worth of notes with browning and boss equipped rifles.

My other a-bolts LOVE the SST's. I was getting one inch 3 shot groups at 100 yards with a completely factory a bolt II 30-06 and the Hornady Custom 150 SST's. most of the groups had two touching and an outlier. I'm somewhat a noobie at shooting and have poor eyesight and not that great of a shot, but guys at the range would swear i was handloading those SST's too hot and they were tumbling when i'd bring back my targets from down range and holes were touching.

I would shoot the SST's but I primarily shoot to practice for hunting and I prefer a bullet with more penetration than the SST's. The two wallhangers I shot last season had NO blood outside of the animal much less a trail. One dropped (spine shot) the other ran 60 yards and it took me an hour to find him (don't ask lol). So then i switched to federal premium loaded nosler partitions (the ones i cut my teeth on) for more penetration but they don't group so well. I'm going with the Berger's this year if they group OK.

I'm in South Carolina, mainly deer hunting. I can see you're a browning fan as well. I don't know why but i have 4 a bolt II's but only one with a BOSS. what makes you stick with browning so?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.