sweet free balistic calculator, with MOA and mil's

Re: sweet free balistic calculator, with MOA and mil\'s

I think it has a couple of flaws. I punched in data for a 200 grain boat tail. As I increased the zero range from 200 yds to 260 in 10 yard increments it would jump the other trajectory numbers up and down, it didn't plot right. Maybe I was seeing things but it didn't compute right when I tried it.

Ring,

Are you the author of this program? If so, I've found a few bugs I posted on the other thread.

If you're the author, email me, I'd like to ask you a few questions on your calculations.

Thanks

Here's another one on that site. I worked on this one a few years back and I have a few updates to it if you want.
http://www.nfa.ca/nfafiles/cfjarchive/ballistics/rangingballisticscomputer.xls

Pete Cronhelm was my original source for the spreadsheet (the version listed in the first post of this thread). He and I spent a few good months playing with the thing, a good diversion.

I'm also working on one that's in Visual Basic (very small) but it'll be a while before it's released.

Jaeger476

There's a little problem when the Range Increment is not evenly divisible by the Zero Range. This is a result of the "step" method used to calculate the trajectory data.

As you changed the Zero Range from 260 to 200 you stressed/broke the design limitiation of the "evenly divisible by the range increment" model. Programmers like to think of these things as "undocumented features" rather than "flaws or limitations".

The Visual Basic one I'm building does NOT have such a problem. You can use a range increment of 1 yard and tell it to calculate to 4000 yards (must stay supersonic... an "undocumented feature") if you want, Zero range can be any range in that spread.

no im not..
main site is here with his contact info..
http://www.nfa.ca/nfafiles/cfjarchive/ballistics/ballisticcomputers.html

if you have a fix for any errors, i would not mind seeing them so i can fix my sheet though
smile.gif

[ 10-05-2004: Message edited by: Ring ]

Dave,

How far a long are you on your new program? If you would like someone to demo it, keep me in mind.

Also, I would like the update if you can send it to me.

Thanks

[ 10-05-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Jeff

I sent out an updated version this morning at 0740 EST, share it with whomever you wish.

Hey Dave

I'm trying to download your program...Keeps askin for a username and password. It is thje excell one right?

Joe

Lablover

Check your email, I just forwarded you Dave's updated program.

Jeff

[ 10-06-2004: Message edited by: Jeff In TX ]

Jeff

Thanks..I really appreciate it

Joe

Dave

Is the spreadsheet at
http://www.nfa.ca/nfafiles/cfjarchive/ballistics/rangingballisticscomputer.xls

now the updated version.

The "Zero Data Summary" page looks like a very adventurous project.

If you wish I can look into adding a page with an inclination chart showing drops from line of sight for say 0 t0 80 Degs. Now that you guys have done all the hard work, it might be a quick way for me to grab all the credit
grin.gif

I think an inclination chart would be a real eye opener for a lot of people. Angle of fire usually takes precidence over pressure, temp or humidity differences.

As the spread sheet stands at the moment, it provides capability which will satisfy 90% of shooters in a very user friendly manner.

If you need any help with further development do not hesitate to ask.

Kindest regards

Brian

Brian,

Email me please, I've been playing with Dave's program and I have some ideas. Maybe we can pound this out together.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.